Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with External HD

• Please log in to reply

Mrtepes2

Mrtepes2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all,

I have an external harddrive that has worked fine for years, until last night when another drive was plugged into my computer. Now my computer won't recognize it. It shows up in Safely Remove Hardware, as well as Device Manager under disk drives, but it does not show up under My Computer or Disk Management. I know its not a problem with the power or the USB because it worked fine until the other drive was plugged in. I tried reinstalling drivers, unplugging/plugging, and nothing seems to be working. Help? :)

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hello all,

I have an external harddrive that has worked fine for years (what brand is it? seagate, WD etc.), until last night when another drive was plugged into my computer. Now my computer won't recognize it. It shows up in Safely Remove Hardware, as well as Device Manager under disk drives, but it does not show up under My Computer or Disk Management.(is there a dirve showing unallocated of offline in diskmanagement?) I know its not a problem with the power or the USB because it worked fine until the other drive was plugged in. I tried reinstalling drivers, unplugging/plugging, and nothing seems to be working(did you reboot you system?). Help? :)

did you recently have other problems with this system?

Edited by dennisK16, 11 July 2011 - 11:25 AM.

Mrtepes2

Mrtepes2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's WD, I did not see any drive other than my main drive, and I did try a reboot, with no luck. I have never had any other problems with the drive or the system.

Strangely enough, a few hours later, it started working again, but it's letter had been changed from G: to F:...

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
ok so the problem is fixed now ?

Mrtepes2

Mrtepes2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It seems to be, although I am a little nervous about it now. Thank you! :)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
here are somethings you can download and do to see if your drive is still healthy:

http://support.wdc.c...1&sid=3&lang=en
download this software and it will test your drive. let me know if you need further assistance