Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer sluggish

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you needed confirmation you now have it from both of us.

You have Speed Up My PC - which I can assure you is unwanted, uneeded and will generally like all of these programs, do exactly the opposite. It will speed up very little if anything, but has the potential to damage the health of it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2011 - 03:06 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Macboatmaster you are welcome to add anything you see I may have missed. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

Additionally unless I am mistaken - your C drive is NOT Samsung, as you said, but Western Digital.
E Drive is Samsung.

Additionally if your recommendation was for referral to the Malware forum, before I posted, please accept my apologies I did not spot that.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2011 - 03:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologize to both of you as I did not mention that and I thought I had. Due to the presence of Utorrent I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
bigdan
Good Luck with it.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
thanks guys for all your help.

i'm pretty sure i have no virus / spyware problems. i've gotten the OK from another forum maybe 3 weeks ago, and my scans are negative.

rshaffer can you direct me to which driver to download to do the scan on my C now that we know its WD? i downloaded samsung.

i've already uninstalled speedupmypc btw, and am doing other programs.

i'm trying to get clarity on my E drive issue. its full but i dont use it except to watch tv shows. so if it were to slow down while accessing it thats fine, but at other times when im not watching tv it wouldnt impact my general performance would it?

edit - btw i believe i only have one virus scanner, avast. you're seeing others? i have other spyware cleaners but not virus cleaners that i know of.

Edited by bigdan, 01 August 2011 - 07:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the WD hd diagnostics area and look for this section.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD) (June 2004)
Get this file then:
DLG Diagnostics

Follow the instructions I posted earlier on how to make the bootable disk and run the program.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
it links me to this site. which do i choose?

My link

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WD Caviar Blue
Available Software

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To answer the question about E Drive - the Samsung.
If that drive was used ONLY for backups. then you should NEVER defrag a drive used only for backups. The reason being that it stands a slight chance of corrupting the backup.

If you attempt to defrag a drive, with less free space than the largest folder on the drive, it is very likely to fail.

If you use the drive as you appear to do, not JUST for backups but also for storage of your video files, then please be assured that you open those files and play them, add to them, delete some of them and add more you are USING the drive and although earlier in this thread the report from Everest said that you had13Gb free out of 250Gb. Pitstop stated that you had ONLY 7Gb free. THAT is insufficient for the purpose you are using the drive for.

In essence, do not defrag your back up files, especially an Image file created for exmaple using Western Digital Acronis True Image which is available to you as your C Drive is WD.

In summary, MY OPINION, is that you would be well advised to increase the free space percentage, certainly considering that you frequently access and use the video files etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 August 2011 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

WD Caviar Blue
Available Software

I did this but had trouble finding the correct link after hitting the one you mentioned above. I finally downloaded something that installed as opposed to creating a CD. It was the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. Was the the wrong thing to download? Anyway after installing the program quit on me for some reason. Its funny a bunch of programs (MSE, IE etc) have gotten installed but then refused to run.

To answer the question about E Drive - the Samsung.

If you use the drive as you appear to do, not JUST for backups but also for storage of your video files, then please be assured ...
<SNIP> you are USING the drive and although earlier in this thread the report from Everest said that you had13Gb free out of 250Gb.

In summary, MY OPINION, is that you would be well advised to increase the free space percentage, certainly considering that you frequently access and use the video files etc.

Got it, you're correct, I do indeed use it to some degree. I even play my video files from E. Now I'm getting an external disk tomorrow so this'll relieve some of the load on E and what you're saying will be taken care of. However I must admit I still dont get it - are you saying that because E is full, even when I'm just browsing or doing stuff that doesn't involve E in anyway whatsoever, that's what is causing my system to be slow, or are you saying E being full slows down the system everytime I access the E: only ?

Edited by bigdan, 02 August 2011 - 09:30 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you are not accessing E drive, clearly it cannot have any effect on the speed of your computer.

Re the Data Lifeguard as rshaffer61 told you , you need this one.
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD) (June 2004)
Here is the link direct to it.
http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 August 2011 - 12:31 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
bigdan

I am totally confused.
You started this thread on 11 July.
You, rshaffer61 and myself have spent time, IN THE LAST TWO days or so, explaining WHICH hard disk drive diagnostic tool you need.
HOWEVER I now realise that on another site on 17 July the suggestion to run the hard disk drive analysis was already made and the correct tool identified to you.

Go to the WD Caviar Blue EIDE (PATA) Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)

As that is a quote from the other site dated 17 July

It was also pointed out to you, exactly what I have said regarding E drive and that was ALSO on 17 July

SAMSUNG SP2514N
Size: 233GB
Used Space: 225GB (97%)
Free Space: 7.67GB (3%)

Your second HDD is way tooooo ... full also. You should remove some stuff from this drive.

FULL = 15% free space.
(Time to start storing stuff elsewhere @ 25% free space)

You responded to the above on the other site

thanks man. i'll get on this shortly.

my E drive is full but is that a problem? its just storage, not regular functional. windows is run of my C (or at least i think so)

i will do the manufacturer diagnostic. may i ask what's the goal here?

Additionally to all of this you had also been advised to run many of the programs and utilities suggested here.

AND on 11 July, the date you started the thread on GeekstoGo you were advised on the other site

If your hard drive is 8% free, you should consider getting a larger hard drive or cleaning it up by deleting unnecessary files; uninstalling programs; and moving document, picture, movie, and music files to an external drive. The fuller the hard drive is, Windows will begin to slow down more and more.

FINALLY you have posted this matter on at least four sites and on ONE of these which I also work on your received help and advice from two of the sites more experienced members and have not responded on that site since the 12 July.

I have decided to leave the matter with you, as I feel, to be perfectly honest with you that I am to some extent wasting my time.
It may have been more helpful if when matters suggested HERE on GeekstoGo, had already been mentioned on the other site, that this was pointed out to us.
You were asked on the site to run TFC Cleaner. That had already been suggested to you on the other site.

The reason I am leaving the thread is NOT that you have asked for help on other sites, but that you were already aware of many of the issues on which you have raised queries on this site.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 August 2011 - 01:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Downloading the Windows version defeats the purpose of the diagnostics in my opinion because you are still dependent on the OS running. Using the DOS cd ISO version allows the system to boot to the diagnostics program before the OS even initializes thus testing the hd alone. Follow Macboatmasters link and you will see the window below and I have highlighted the exact file to get.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

bigdan

I am totally confused.
You started this thread on 11 July.
You, rshaffer61 and myself have spent time, IN THE LAST TWO days or so, explaining WHICH hard disk drive diagnostic tool you need.
HOWEVER I now realise that on another site on 17 July the suggestion to run the hard disk drive analysis was already made and the correct tool identified to you.

Go to the WD Caviar Blue EIDE (PATA) Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)

As that is a quote from the other site dated 17 July

It was also pointed out to you, exactly what I have said regarding E drive and that was ALSO on 17 July

SAMSUNG SP2514N
Size: 233GB
Used Space: 225GB (97%)
Free Space: 7.67GB (3%)

Your second HDD is way tooooo ... full also. You should remove some stuff from this drive.

FULL = 15% free space.
(Time to start storing stuff elsewhere @ 25% free space)

You responded to the above on the other site

thanks man. i'll get on this shortly.

my E drive is full but is that a problem? its just storage, not regular functional. windows is run of my C (or at least i think so)

i will do the manufacturer diagnostic. may i ask what's the goal here?

Additionally to all of this you had also been advised to run many of the programs and utilities suggested here.

AND on 11 July, the date you started the thread on GeekstoGo you were advised on the other site

If your hard drive is 8% free, you should consider getting a larger hard drive or cleaning it up by deleting unnecessary files; uninstalling programs; and moving document, picture, movie, and music files to an external drive. The fuller the hard drive is, Windows will begin to slow down more and more.

FINALLY you have posted this matter on at least four sites and on ONE of these which I also work on your received help and advice from two of the sites more experienced members and have not responded on that site since the 12 July.

I have decided to leave the matter with you, as I feel, to be perfectly honest with you that I am to some extent wasting my time.
It may have been more helpful if when matters suggested HERE on GeekstoGo, had already been mentioned on the other site, that this was pointed out to us.
You were asked on the site to run TFC Cleaner. That had already been suggested to you on the other site.

The reason I am leaving the thread is NOT that you have asked for help on other sites, but that you were already aware of many of the issues on which you have raised queries on this site.

i can see where you're coming from. let me address your concerns.

this hard drive thing has been mentioned a couple times. first when i started the thread it was my C that was less than 10% free. i've since fixed that. i've had people including yourself saying E is too full and that must be reduced. now that's not easy to do for me, it woudl require some major work. so i've tried clarifying, is that really important or is that just something good to do. for example in your last post to me you seemed to be agreeing, unless i was misunderstood you, that if i dont use E for anything than to watch tv shows then it wont impact my windows functionality, only when I'm using it. I watch tv shows for 20 mins a day and that's it, so for those 20 mins if my computer is slower i'm perfectly fine w/ that.

why didnt i buy a new hard drive? simple, money! i wasnt working at the same and i didnt want to spend money unnecessarily. also if a new external TB costs $100, i could get a second hand computer for as low as $150 so wasn't sure which to go with. after all i dont know if just making my drive less cramped will make it faster, that's just one of the possible scenarios right?

if this hard drive diagnostic scan has been recommended in the past im not aware. im not saying it didnt happen, just that i dont remember it happening. had i known which driver to download of course i wouldnt have kept asking that. it was annoying to have to keep coming back and asking you guys how to do so when it should've been something quite simple so im sure you'll agree that if id known which to download i wouldnt have done so. i did the scan btw and in the quick scan no problems emerged.