Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-Installed Windows 7 and now I have no sound

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there a master volume slider on yours?

Advertisements

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, just a device volume control and if i click on the mixer, it brings up a volume control mixer with 2 slide bars, one for the device and another for applications system sounds.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different set of speakers?

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Havent tried a different set of speakers yet, just don't understand how everything is the same except that im running win 7 home premium instead of win 7 pro and now i have no sound.

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm gonna really show my ignorance now, since im using the onboard sound device and its rated as high definition, will my old pc speakers (Altec Lansing from about 6 yrs ago, not high def) work. or will i have to go buy some new high def speakers?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They should work but you won't get high def sound just regular stereo sound.

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Spent the last hour online with microsoft tech support, they couldnt figure it out either. They have forwarded me to the research development dept, they will be contacting me next week.

My personal thought is that something didnt install correctly when i installed Vista then Win 7 Home Prem to get myself out of Microsoft induced black screen prison.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best bet is to start completely over. Where did the Vista come from?

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Had a copy from my wifes laptop i threw on there, had run it on my pc before with no trouble.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wrong drivers loaded then with laptop I'm sure not being the exact model as your system.
Also according to Microsoft's EULA what you have is a pirated copy of the OS installed on your system.
What was the original OS on your system?

Advertisements

scott775

scott775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Actually, when I bought my last pc from Dell, I had a choice of either XP or Vista, I chose XP for obvious reasons. The machine came with XP installed, but the reinstallation disk they sent was for Vista. I was wondering why I couldnt find my XP reinstallation disk when I remembered thats how they sent it to me.

The Vista I installed is not for a laptop, its just the regular Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1. The wife's laptop didnt even come with disks, now they want you to back everything up when you get it - to act as recovery disks. You gotta love Dell.
Microsoft is supposed to get in touch with me Wed evening, but I'm imagining that ill have to do a complete reinstall myself. Just another reason to hate Vista.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the OS that is shown on the sticker on the side of your system with your Reg key?
I'm a little confused because first you said in reply to when I ask where did the Vista come from.

Had a copy from my wifes laptop i threw on there, had run it on my pc before with no trouble.

Now you say:

The Vista I installed is not for a laptop, its just the regular Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1

Is this Vista the same as what is on her system then? Same reg key also?

Most new system do not include installation disks from the manufacturers. Most systems have a recovery partition on the hd with the original OS along with drivers and software. If you formatted the system you may have deleted that partition. Lets see if that partition even exists right now.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply