Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor not displaying

• Please log in to reply

Adilz

Adilz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,hope you well and that you able to assist,I changed my memory modules but after rebooting the monitor does not switch on,the monitor power indicator just turns orange instead of green,i reverted back to my old memory modules,i have an agp graphics card,removed it and switched to onboard graphics but still the orange light from the monitor,what can i do to correct this?I am running XP at the moment and have the following motherboard gigabyte GA-8I865GM-775,thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not sure where you are now. Does it work fine when you reverted back to the old memory? If so, then it would seem your new RAM is not compatible. Did you verify the RAM with Gigabyte your motherboard manual?

Adilz

Adilz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not using the new memory modules but the monitor remains in the same state.

Adilz

Adilz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Not sure where you are now. Does it work fine when you reverted back to the old memory? If so, then it would seem your new RAM is not compatible. Did you verify the RAM with Gigabyte your motherboard manual?

Not using the new memory modules but the monitor remains in the same state.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So, just to clarify, the computer and monitor worked fine before installing the new RAM. You installed the new RAM and the computer failed to boot. You removed the new RAM and installed the old RAM, and now the computer still refuses to boot. Correct?

Did you observe proper ESD precautions when handling the RAM modules, and before reaching into the computer? Did you unplug the computer from the wall before removing or installing modules?

And once again, did you ensure the RAM was compatible?

Adilz

Adilz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi,that's correct,old modules are in but still not booting,i took all precautions and the new modules were compatible,do i need to replace the pc or do you think it could be fixed? thanks for taking the time to help

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So, you unplugged the computer from the wall before removing and installing the RAM? You discharged static in your body before even thinking of reaching in or touching the modules? And you ensured the sticks were properly aligned?

I ask because there is no reason returning your original RAM did not restore function, unless the RAM was damaged during the swap.

We need some motherboard and RAM model numbers please.