Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost data after system recovery

• Please log in to reply

grant3003

grant3003

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, just hoping somebody can help. I am running windows xp and I had an issue and ended up doing a system recovery. It said it was backing up and saving files and that I wouldnt lose anything except programs. Well I went ahead and did it. My pc had a few users with myself being the administrator and my wife as well as another user and a guest user. So long story short it seams that everyboy elses data is fine but me being the administrator lost all my stuff. When I check it out my pc says it is using 150gb out of 300gb which is about what it was I think before the recovery...so that leads me to believe my stuff is still there somewhere.
When I click on c:/documents and settings there is a folder called HP administrator that wont open saying access is denied...im wondering if this is my folder I need. I cant imagine it would save everybody's stuff and not the administrators.
Any help would be much appreciated. I am not very computer savvy so if you can speak in fairly simple terms for we that would be great.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi grant3003 :)
Try logging on as administrator to see if you can access the information that way;
Start the system and when you see the Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys twice it will show the Classic Login box > Type "Administrator" (without the quotes) in Username > leave the Password field blank > Now press Enter and you should be able to log into Windows and hopefully your data.

grant3003

grant3003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually I did find almost everything after I found the solution from this site. But I am missing one folder. It was hidden by a program called Free Hide Folder....I cannot find it anywhere. If anyone has a solution for that I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
What is the particular program you are missing?
Try finding it by using Recuva http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html

grant3003

grant3003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I just thought id share the things thats helped me. Found my files in leterally just a few minutes with this solution
Follow these steps to gain access to the folders:

1. Restart the computer into Safe Mode.

a. Shut down the computer.
b. Power on, and when the blue HP Invent or Compaq screen appears, keep
tapping F8. This displays the Windows Advanced

Options Menu.
c. Use the arrow keys to move up to Safe Mode and press Enter.
d. Press Enter on Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal or Microsoft
Windows
XP Home Edition.

2. Click Administrator and, if applicable, enter the password and press
Enter.
3. A window will appear asking you for confirmation of keeping in Safe
Mode. Click Yes.
4. Click Start and My Computer. Then, double-click the main hard drive
(
C:) and Documents and Settings.
5. Right-click the folder name of the user account and click
Properties.
6. Click Security.
7. Click Advanced.
8. Click Owner (see Figure 1 arrow 1).
9. Place a check mark in Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
(see
Figure 1 arrow 2).
10. Click Apply.
11. Click Yes to the security message.
12. Click OK.
13. Click OK again.
14. Restart the computer and access will be granted to all folders of
the
user accounts.

And then for fiding my locked and hidden folder I tried Recuva and it found what I was looking for very fast as well. I had tried a couple of other programs that took many hours and then did not work. This Recuva was great.

Thanks for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Congratulations on resolving the lost data issue I am happy for you :unsure:
Thank you for allowing me to assist you and most importantly for providing the solution to the problem :) :yes:
Enjoy the forums.