Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Interesting idea[Read]

• Please log in to reply

Cold as Ice

Cold as Ice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So i was thinking I wanted to create a general **** website, with forums sort've like these, and even thinking :tazz: of using the simple geekstogo.com webhosting and domain name service ($15+5 or something close). After that I was looking to install some forum software. Something like php-nuke - although I hear that has some serious security flaws, and isn't all that great looking in my humble opinion. Even thinking of finding a few co-partners for the project. So I need a bit of advice from those experienced in what i am attempting. ;)

a) What kind of forum software is appealing for large member sites?
- Nuke is a bit more site based, so I'm looking into mambo & YaBB. What else is good?

b) What kind of traffic does a site like this generate?
- Can I even get a idea from a admin on the bandwidth costs? It must be upwards of 500$ correct?

c) How can I get a site like this [Geeks2Go] seen on the web?

d) Can I get some advice from some of the more experienced forum admins of large communitys? ;)

Your fellow geek, Cold as Ice

Edited by ditto, 01 June 2005 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

carelwen

carelwen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
this forum used a php computer language,php language is a diffcult language for me,i am not a programmer,but i a web pages designer.

if you can get the php computer language and you open a website by yourself ,then you can pay for the website.

that's all. :tazz:

ColonelPup

ColonelPup

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
A) Invision Power Board and vBulletin are the most popular forum software. I use IPB for my forum.

B) I would think that people who search online for help will find a help topic from google showing something from this forum. (Guests) and people who need help with their computer
- With a forum this active, it has to cost a lot of money for bandwidth..I would think. My forum has 20 members online in one day and it's sort of a lot of bandwidth used.

C) You can get a site by learning HTML. You would need webspace too.

D) You shouldn't put a lot of forums or features out just like that. You need to add forums as the forum gets bigger. If your adding modifications, do not add too many at a time. Make your members excited over time and not all at once. You should try to get your forum known across the net...

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
just to give you an idea of the traffic here

http://www.geekstogo...005-t20939.html