Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Have 4 gigs, worth going 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello everyone,

I recently added another 2 gigs to my system because I need the breathing space for virtual machines. I do some gaming as well, but most of the stuff I do is with VMs. My system sees 3.25GB right now.

I have a copy of Win7 64 Pro on hand.

My question is: Is it worth the trouble of all the re-installing goodness(all my program settings, updating, etc)? Will I see enough of a boost from going 64 bit? Currently there is 750 megs of RAM just sitting aound... I have 64 on my laptop and don't notice that big of difference, except that Windows uses more RAM while idling.

I know 64 bit is supposed to be more secure among other things...

Here's the speccy report

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53GHz 45 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3R (Socket 775) 35 °C
Graphics
HP w2007 (1680x1050@59Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Gigabyte) 46 °C
Hard Drives
625GB SATA WDC WD6400AAKS-0 SCSI Disk Device (RAID) 42 °C
Optical Drives
SATA ASUS DRW-2014 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edit: Now I'm running 3 VMs (2 Linux, 1 XP) and have almost no lag on any of them...including my host...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
To do all this work for an extra 750Mb of RAM isn't worth it on its own.
Also you'd need to verify whether all your programs and VM emulators work in a 64-bit environment. If not, it's a pointless upgrade.