Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable and Shakey Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

Eldon Mixer

Eldon Mixer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I run a desktop through a wireless connection. Wireless N adapter up to 300mbs with a wireless N router. I mostly notice it when I play games online. I will have no latency problems, at least none that the recorder is catching, but it seems like my connection with drop and pick back up in a couple seconds. It does it often and definitely interferes with the game play but it also messes with watching streaming video and such. I've tried all the regular troubleshooting/ I have a strong connection (almost full contact with router)and it is a decent ISP. Never had problems before. I did recently upgrade the adapter but even when i switch back to the old one it does the same. Just worse. Best way to describe it is the connection blinks on and off ever 10-20 seconds. I do have my network under WPA-Personal wireless security. Please taking any suggestions. Things I've already tried listed below.

Uninstalling all wireless drivers and reinstalling them.
Complete virus scans with Avast and Malware Bytes.
CCleaner to correct any registry errors and clean HD.
Resetting modem and router (several times) and even resetting to factory setting.
Running it with and without WPA running.
Moving computer closer to router.
Running a direct line to computer with no router (which obviously showed no problems with connection. Only wireless)
Switching the wireless adapters.

The connection speed and signal strength I have with the new router is definitely better. So I am pretty sure it is not the adapter. The router isn't even months old and I bought it brand new. I've run out of ideas. Please help.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Running a direct line to computer with no router (which obviously showed no problems with connection. Only wireless)

You plugged it directly into the modem or into the router via Ethernet cable? Did you try wired from the router or does it have no Ethernet ports?

I know I had similar issues but with a completely wired connection. I replaced the modem and the issues went away.

Eldon Mixer

Eldon Mixer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I ran some 1000 package ping tests and I have a feeling its the router. Which sucks since its pretty much new. The pings normally were <1ms to 3ms which is normal but ever so often about 1 every 20-30 ping packs it would jump to 200-1500ms then immediately go back to <1-3ms. I'm at my wits end. I don't know what would be causing this all of a sudden, but it is serious making my days bad.