Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Malfunctions After UPS Failure

• Please log in to reply

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello guys. My UPS failed yesterday and laptop ceased working. UPS failed me before 1 time and it was when laptop was on standby but nothing happened to the laptop. Also there were times when laptop was working and UPS failed but laptop did not stop working. This time i have got what i deserved. I should have become seriously suspicious when UPS failed me 1st time but i did not take it seriously.

When i turn on laptop, power button light and power led are blinking, i hear laptop working and DVD driver also activates as usual but screen does not show anything.

I have filmed it and here is the video:

Mouse, USB Hub, power supply and LAN cable were connected to laptop at the time of failure. Do you think it was power spike that went through power cable or LAN cable?

What can be the problem? I already paid $150 to replace cooler i spoiled. I also paid $50 for 2GB of RAM and this laptop means more to me. I could send it to HP lab, but labor and parts may cost a lot depending on the problem.

Don't know what to do, continue with this laptop or buy new HP laptop...

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not sure what to tell you on this. Normally, UPS don't cause damage. They may fail to protect, such as when UPS batteries die (they do need to be replaced about every 3 years), but they don't normally cause the damage themselves.

Can you boot your notebook with the power supply only, no battery? Or battery only?

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Not with power supply and not with battery. Okay than if UPS did not damagage laptop, what did? LAN cable that was conencted from modem or just unexpected restart damaged laptop?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Okay than if UPS did not damagage laptop, what did?

Certainly, a UPS could go bad and destroy anything plugged into it, but again, I think that would be extremely rare. A damaged UPS "should" just shut down as a precautionary measure, not go on an destructive rampage. So my "guess" is the UPS failed to protect your notebook from some extreme anomaly that came through the power lines, and that anomaly damaged the notebook's internal charging/power regulation circuits.

You can test your UPS by plugging a couple lamps with 100w bulbs in to the UPS, then pull the UPS power cord from the wall. If the lights stay lit, your UPS is probably fine.

Not all notebooks are designed to run with power supply only (no battery) so you may need to verify that with your manual. If it is supposed to run without a battery installed, but does not, then something is wrong with the power supply, or the notebook. If the manual says a battery must be in the circuit at all times, you might try another battery - but obviously, most folks don't have them laying around, and they are not cheap so buying a new one just for testing under these uncertain circumstances would be a financial risk.

Your best option may be to take it to a shop where the technician can open it on the bench, hook it up to known good power and see (measure) what's going on. Sorry I have no more to offer.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
How to plug 100w lamps into UPS?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

How to plug 100w lamps into UPS?

:)

Ummm, you get a 100W lightbulb, screw it into the socket of the lamp, plug the lamp into the UPS. Turn on lamp.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My UPS does not have such socket. My UPS is made in Israel.

Wait is there supposed to be special built-in socket for testing purposes?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My UPS does not have such socket

What?

No, you are very much confused. Don't you have a desk or table lamp? And does the lamp not plug into the wall?

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I understand what you mean now. Will this lamp suffice? It is 35W however and one that has little light bulb that heats up very much.

I also have all-in-one fax machine.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The idea is to put the UPS under a realistic load. A computer draws much more than 35W. You can certainly test it with that lamp, and if the UPS does not keep it lit, then you know the UPS is bad (UPS batteries need to be replaced about every 3 years). But if it holds and the light stays lit under battery power, that is not really a good test, since 35 watts does not put a strain on it. With 35W, I would expect the UPS to keep it lit for 30 minutes or more - depending on the size of the UPS.

Advertisements

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay then i can plug in floor radiator that i use to heat up room in the winter, i can also plug the lamp i mentioned already and floor fan as well.

Would that put UPS on strain for testing?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A floor radiator? NO!!!! I said a "realistic" load. A floor radiator could draw 1000 or more even 1500 watts! A fan might, if it's motor is not too noisy. You are looking for a 100 to 200 watt load.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have the following:

• 35W Lamp
  • 50W Fan
  • 95W Fan

Should i combine first 2 or just use last one?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If it holds with the 95W fan for more than a couple minutes, I suspect it is fine. That said, that only verifies the batteries are good, and that it does switchover during a power outage. It does not verify it switches over faster than 19ms, the minimum a PC's ATX power supply is required to hold power during an outage.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

If it holds with the 95W fan for more than a couple minutes, I suspect it is fine. That said, that only verifies the batteries are good, and that it does switchover during a power outage. It does not verify it switches over faster than 19ms, the minimum a PC's ATX power supply is required to hold power during an outage.

And what about laptop's power supply?