Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Server Software

• Please log in to reply

spudders

spudders

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,
Firstly I would like to say sorry if this is in the wrong area as I am not to sure where it should be!

Anyway, I have a average custom built pc i am using as a server to host games such as Call of Duty, Unreal and lots more. It also hosts a Web server . For file downloading. Please bare in mind this is all for local LAN use and not on the internet.

The Specs are:
Intel Core Duo E6700
2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
ATX Tower Case With 400w PSU
Intel G41 & ICH7 Chipset Motherboard
500GB western digital SATA drive 7200 rpm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Now on to my question, I would also like to use this as a media server for my movie and film collection. I am thinking of investing in a RAID 5 card and 4 x 2Tb hard drives (So i have a little redundancy)

I want to stream the media to PC's, Laptops and TV's throughout my house. (I have the network infrastructure already setup for this)

The question is about software to use. In the past I have used Windows Media Player and Center but these are quite limited as to what they can do. I recently heard about Windows Home Server, and was wondering what peoples thoughts where to this? It has a decent list of useful features. I would plan to use this is an virtual environment on the current server. What are your thoughts on this?

Or my other option would be to use software like TVersity. I have tried it before but didn't have much luck in the past.
Or, can anyone recommend another way of doing this? I.e different software ect?

Anything i have missed out please ask!

Thanks you
Spud

Advertisements