Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How 2 Install Old MSOffice on New PC

• Please log in to reply

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just got a new eMachine with Windows XP.

Though I have a registered copy of MS Office 2000 Professional on my old machine, I don't have my original disks (lost in a move). Do have my registration number. Even if I had the disks, my new machine does not have a 3-1/4" drive -- so couldn't use them anyway.

How can I install my 2000 Office suite on my new machine?

What I've tried so far:

1. Have copied all the files over -- complete OFFICE directory. Have been able to modify SETUP.STF (in the office setup dir) to point to the correct drives on this PC for installation.

The install opens, searches for space, gives me the Add/Remove, Reinstall, Etc. options. I have picked Add and selected my choices. Then I click 'install'....It then says it cannot open the OFF43_BB.DL_ file which IS there. Looked on microsoft site for a copy of the file, but only got 'semi-instructions' on loading office manually.

2. Tried doing that manual install -- though I can't actually exit to DOS from XP, could only use the DOS prompt -- but found I needed yet another file acmsetup.exe . Couldn't find it at Microsoft, but found it on my new CPU in another dir and and then copied to the setup dir.

3. When I run that acmsetup, it gives another problem message (can't remember right now) and says to "check on your installation disk" -- which, of course, I don't have.

Is there any hope? Or should I just buy one of those OEM versions of OFFICE?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I'd prefer to use my registered version, of course. :tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I believe you can buy a program called PC Relocator and you can use it to pick and choose what exactly you want to move to another computer, you can use it to copy the entire drive if you wish. I have never used it, but my friend has and he likes it. It cost's around $80 I believe.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, Jonny, I'll research that. Meantime I await other ideas.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I snapped a disc for Office 2000, called Microsoft and they sent complete Office XP Pro for 30 USD

Office XP Pro does not have Publisher so you may want to ask them about this if you need it

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Keith -- sorry, what do u mean by 'snapped a disk" -- do u mean, capture a screen image of the registration/splash screen? Let me know, please. I can do that. Only $30 US. That's a steal. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Went to Office Update, started download, decide to clean disc, it snapped, broke, became two pieces, stopped resembling a CD.

Called Microsoft, they said what's the product key, told them, they said we do not supply 2000 so you will have to have Office XP Pro, and that's probably why it cost so much

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 02:58 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I just got a new eMachine with Windows XP. 

Though I have a registered copy of MS Office 2000 Professional on my old machine,  I don't have my original disks (lost in a move). Do have my registration number.  Even if I had the disks, my new machine does not have a 3-1/4" drive -- so couldn't use them anyway.

View Post

Howdy:

This just struck me as a bit funny.. To my knowledge, Office 2000 did not come in floppy disks, cd only..so, no need for a 3.5" (floppy) drive.. :tazz:

Murray

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I'm wondering too, how can you install the Office Suite just by copying the files from one harddrive to another, Office seems to place files and Dlls all over the place. Even then, registry keys would be missing, etc.

If you just got the new Emachine, there should be an eval version of Office XP or 2003 that you can activate to the full version.

I have also called Microsoft to replace a CD, as long as you have the key and have registered the software, there is normally no problems with getting a replacement, unless Microsoft does not have any copies left, they will ask you to upgrade.

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Murray --

Maybe it was on CD -- although I have all my CDs in a case that I DO have, so I was just assuming that it was on diskettes. I wish I could find the box all my computer stuff was in, but I truly think it got lost in the move. Since I do have my registration key, though, I will contact microsoft and see what they can do for me.

Thanks to all who replied!!! HUGS!!!