Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memtest86 corrupted screen?

• Please log in to reply

zeus1234

zeus1234

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I had a Win XP machine that freeze suddenly during use. I am not running any heavy duty stuff, just normal office processing and work and sending some email.

I thought i might be having a faulty RAM, so i ran memtest86 overnight to check for problem. This morning, i saw this on my screen, any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-07-13_1420.JPG

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It looks like your graphics is corrupt. Is the case interior clean of dust? What are your temps? All fans spinning freely? Have you inspected for leaky caps? Swapped in a known good PSU?

I think it wise to let MemTest run overnight, but, if RAM is in question, it is better to test one stick at a time (at first) - just so if one stick is bad, it is already isolated. When you check them all together, if one is bad, you still have to figure out which one. So I check all sticks by themselves, then all together - because sometimes sticks check fine individually, but then don't play well together. And sadly, software based memory testers, don't always detect errors that may show up in real use.

zeus1234

zeus1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Digerati for the pointers.

I suspected a faulty video card as well after seeing the display. I have not done other thing like what you mentioned though. I lack a spare PSU but i can check on the temp and fan.

I have 2 sticks of 1GB and initially, i tested them 1 by 1, running memtest for 2 passes each without error. After that, i decided to put them together and ran the test overnight.