Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Turns on then shuts off?

• Please log in to reply

Tom07

Tom07

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have an HP pavilion dv7 and when I press the power button it will turn on and I can hear the fan for about a second and then it will shut off. Sometimes it will stay on for 2 seconds, etc... then shutoff. I don't get any beeps or flashing lights. It just shuts immediately off when I press the power button. What could this be?

Kind regards,
Tom

Also i noticed that when I plug the AC Adapter in it will turn on then off immediately but if I take the battery out and leave the ac adapter in then the laptop won't even turn on at all. The AC Cord is working though because I plugged it into another laptop and it started charging it.

Edited by Tom07, 13 July 2011 - 06:04 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Tom07
Until I read the latter part of your OP the symptoms suggested to me an overheating issue, now however I`m thinking you may have a bad power jack at the rear of your laptop and that it has possibly come away from the MB (a common occurrence) and is causing a short hence the shutdowns, is there any sign of movement from the power jack?
Unfortunately to check this out the laptop will need to be almost completely dismantled, a job best left to a suitably qualified or at least competent person, the attached links may help you decide on the way you wish to proceed;
http://h10032.www1.h...l/c02638165.pdf or for me an easier to follow guide http://www.insidemyl...n-dv7-notebook/ if you take the task on yourself take the opportunity to clean out any heat trapping dust that causes overheating/shutdowns, pay particular attention to the CPU cooler and fan.
Just a FYI the dv7 laptop batteries are known to not last very long before needing to be recharged but avoid prolonged use whilst being both connected to the mains electricity and having the battery in place.