Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly shuts itself down no warning

• Please log in to reply

leelublue

leelublue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
driving me batty. I have a recently installed firewall through aol, I have macafee, have run checks...the computer randomly shuts down, if that doesnt happen sometimes the mouse freezes or the screen freezes, has hppened at most inconvenient times like paying bills or booking flights.......puleese help starting to look like sputtering idiot

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you ended up with two firewalls, AOL and McAfee, turn one off

Did it start this after installing the AOL firewall

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 03:04 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds to me like you're running out of memory, AOL and virus scanners use a lot of RAM. Right click on My Computer in your Desktop and choose Properties, then Performace after you've been running a while, and look at Resources. If you only have a few percent free you need more memory. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Tyger:
System Resources is NOT dependant on the amount of memory you have installed so that is NOT the fix..

Leelublue:

Both Keith and Tyger has a valid point.. Keith with his suggestion to run just one forewall and Tyger to check System Resources.. If they are low, the only thing that will bring them back up is to shutdown running processes (close some programs) or re-boot the system and free the whole works !!

Murray

leelublue

leelublue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi...no the problem was before I added firewall, and the firewall I added was through aol. but not the problem was not before macaffee..it looks like I got plenty of drive space left...2.00 mgs? or ggs? ty so much for replying...now screenis freezing too...if I was being used as a dummy zombie machine, macafee or firewall would show it right? How can I find out if I have two versions of macafee wich is possible? anywho, going away tomorrow so dont think I am rude for not checking in for a while..ty lee

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Its not the space remaining on your hdd, it's the system resorces remaining.. Totally different!!

Murray

candyman6807

candyman6807

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a recently installed firewall through aol, I have macafee, have run checks...the computer randomly shuts down,

View Post

it look like heat problem or something see if the fans are working on the power supply or the CPU.

Bestia454

Bestia454

• Pip
  • 5 posts
now that i think about it i dont recall seeing any fans or putting any in thx candyman .... if you could would you take a look at my other problem i posted

Bestia454

Bestia454

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hmmm i dont know how i dident put in any fans ... maybe because i figured it was an older one and i dident care but i will put some in it

leelublue

leelublue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, thx for your advice..I have 43 percent remaining in systems resources. I will check out the two firewall thingy and get back, if not that. any more ideas? lee

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, 43% is okay for now but it would be nice to see what they were at just before the system crashed..

Next process would be the heat issue.. when was the last time you cleaned out your power supply cooling fan and the CPU cooling fan and heatsink??

Murray

Bestia454

Bestia454

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I cleaned it out about .... hmmm .... never why?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Because they will plug up with dust and fuzz and, given time, will overheat your processor and your PSU resulting in a system that will need some major overhaul to get up and running again!!

Good enough reason to clean it??

Murray

candyman6807

candyman6807

• Pip
  • 2 posts

now that i think about it i dont recall seeing any fans or putting any in thx candyman .... if you could would you take a look at my other problem i posted

View Post

I mean :tazz: maybe one of the fan is not working because it is dirty or just stop working there for it creat a heat problem and the CPU or the Power supply stop working because of the over heat... ;)

phantommirage

phantommirage

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Leelublue

What kind of PC do you have? Some Dell's recently have been know to restart because of a heat issue.

You can also run Stinger and then any spyware removal to see if that may be the issue.

Stinger - vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

Ad aware - http://www.download....page&tag=button

Low resources will not cause a machine to restart by itself. Here are some reasons a pc will restart by itself.

1. Overheating - Fan not going on
2. Virus
3. Spyware
4. Memory (RAM) going bad
5. Software conflict with OS and/or another program

One of these should be the issue as have been stated by others who have responded. Hope this helps

PhantomMirage

Edited by phantommirage, 06 June 2005 - 01:26 PM.