Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64 bit BSOD when more than 2 gb ram installed

• Please log in to reply

tsmonk

tsmonk

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I am dual booting Windows 7 Pro 64bit and XP Pro 32bit. While the XP installation runs fine with 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM, Windows 7 will freeze or BSOD. When I first installed Windows 7 I had 8GB of identical sticks (4x2GB)and things seemed to go smoothly. With in 48 hours the computer would continually freeze and I noticed that half the Windows updates failed. Unable to resolve the update issue, I did an upgrade (repair?) from the DVD that did not go well. The first attempt froze and the second attempt BSOD'd. I read somewhere that there where issues installing Window 7 on older systems with more than 2GB ram so tried again with just one 2GB stick and was successful. All updates installed and there were no other issues so I put in another 2GB of RAM and within about an hour or so the computer froze. It did this three times and finally it blue screened. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Checked the PSU with a multi meter at idle and under load (Prime 95). All
voltages within specs.
2. Ran Memtest 86+ separately on each RAM module in DIMM 1 for about two hours each.
No errors.
3. Checked temps with Speedfan. Nothing unusually high. The GPU was a little warm at 63deg. C
but it is a silent card so I guess that's OK.
4. Tested the GPU with a program whose name I can't recall. No errors.

So that's where I stand now, stumped! I can't understand why the XP Pro runs fine with 4GB of RAM (aside from being bloated and in need of a clean install) and Windows 7 craps out with the same RAM configuration.

Here is my setup. Epox EP-MF570 SLI, AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+, Asus GeForce 7300GT (Silent). GSkill F2-6400CL6D 8GB (4x2GB). I built this system in 2007 so It's old, like me. Also, I ran Whocrashed and have a report but I don't know how to save the file. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for responding. Here's the report

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 7/9/2011 6:40:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070911-18671-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x84F95)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800030EAF95, 0xFFFFF880009A98F8, 0xFFFFF880009A9150)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 7/9/2011 6:40:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800030EAF95, 0xFFFFF880009A98F8, 0xFFFFF880009A9150)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Have you updated any drivers or installed any new software just prior to the issue starting?

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, the Windows 7 installation in fairly new and the problems started right from the beginning. I updated the Nvidia motherboard and video card drivers from Nvidia immediately after I installed the OS. I also installed the Jmicron 36x driver but that made the eSATA and second IDE non functional(could not see my Freeagent external drive or second DVD in my computer). I rolled back that driver which fixed the problem. Apparently it is not needed in windows7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I ran SFC. "Windows Resourse Protection did not find any integrity violations."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ran chkdsk from cmd. prompt. chkdsk C: /F /R After it finished the results did not display long enough for me read completely, something about finding unallocated space. After the Windows splash screen there was a message that the drive was clean. I looked in the event viewer under windows logs> application> sorted by source but couldn't find anything relating to chkdsk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The memory I found for your system is
DDR2 PC2-8500

Is this what you bought?

Advertisements

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The memory I have is PC2-6400 Dual channel. My XP installation had a 2x2GB kit running since 2007, specifically, G.Skill F2-6400CL6D-4GBMQ. I purchased another 4GB kit of exactly the same just prior to installing Windows 7. I figured I was playing it safe by purchasing the same brand and type of memory.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I figured I was playing it safe by purchasing the same brand and type of memory.

Yep that would be the correct direction to take.
According to the specs on the mobo it will take a maximum of 16 gigs of memory.
Now the only options is either the new memory is faulty... which you have already tested and shown to be good.
The memory slots for the second set are faulty.
We have a driver conflict issue.

I'm going with the last at this moment.
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Here is the dump file. As to the first and second options in your last post, the crash occurred with 4GB of the old memory installed in slot one and two. The new memory was not involved. When I boot to XP, both modules of old memory run fine.

Dump File : 070911-18671-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/9/2011 10:47:18 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff800`030eaf95
Parameter 3 : fffff880`009a98f8
Parameter 4 : fffff880`009a9150
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+84f95
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17592 (win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+84f95
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\070911-18671-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 283,192
==================================================

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK two steps I need you to do for me please.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Here is the stuff.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24461449

Attached Thumbnails

• Device Manager.jpg

Edited by tsmonk, 15 July 2011 - 04:30 PM.