Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64 bit BSOD when more than 2 gb ram installed

• Please log in to reply

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, I moved the old stick from slot 3 back to slot 2 and the computer froze on the desktop within a couple of minutes. Restarted and it froze again on this site. If the pattern holds, the next time it will BSOD. So there you have it. Windows 7 is not going to run with anything in slot 2. Go figure. Right now I have one stick of old memory in slot 1 and the newer two sticks in slot 3 and 4. Seems stable. Incidentally, the issue I mentioned about having only 3GB usable memory out of 4GB installed corrected itself. Resource monitor now reports 1MB of memory reserve for hardware. I don't know if that points to anything. At this point, I am wondering if my motherboard is too old to run Windows 7. Epox went out of biz just after I built this computer(my bad luck) so there have been no BIOS updates.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possible bur I think you have a bad memory slot also. I would say a replacement mobo is in your future :)

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
New mobo sounds about right. Better yet a new everything. There are not a lot of AM 2 compatible boards that support DDR2 memory. Right now the Red (sockeye) salmon run is peaking at the mouth of Kenai River and my freezer is empty, so computers will have wait for now. Your help is very much appreciated; I learned a lot.

W.e.S

W.e.S

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, ok im fully aware that this is an OLD thread but my issues are exactly the same as tsmonks, so after coming across this via google, i thought id add to this seeing as its relevant.

I have done everything that tsmonks has done prior to finding this forum.
I have 2 sticks of 2gb ram. Had xp pro for years and years with these sticks together without a single hiccup.
Installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit last week and had endless bsod and restarts.
Updated everything imaginable and eventually tried a boot mem test which finds that running both sticks together causes many issues, however testing one stick induvidually causes NO issues at all. But this never seemed to affect my xp pro installation.

I currently have 1 2gb ram installed and now Windows 7 is running smoothly, so im wondering if tsmonk managed to solve this issue without buying a new motherboard as tbh i know my board isnt the issue or if there is any further help someone can provide please.

My specs are:
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom x4 B50
GeForce GTX 470
Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB
Corsair HX850W
ASUS Essence ST

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try using memtest and run the test on each stick by itself. Does either come up with errors then?

W.e.S

W.e.S

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yep, tried memtest for each stick by themselves. Neither produces any errors and run flawlessly when on there own, they work fine in any of my 4 slots on my motherboard too. The only thing that i can think about possibly causing an issue is the fact my motherboard uses "Dual Channel memory architecture" which might not like the 2 sticks combined but has always been active even when they were running on xp. More important to add is that each stick is different:

Kingston 99U5403-003.A00LF - 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
GeIL CL9-9-9 DDR3-1333 - 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)

But again, they both worked together perfectly fine under windows xp.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are your memory slots color coded?

W.e.S

W.e.S

• Pip
  • 4 posts
2 Blue
2 Black

I had both ram in the Blue slots with XP (no issues) and when I installed/ran W7 (bsod & restarts)
So today, i am trying the Kingston in Blue slot A and the GeIL in Black slot A to force single channel mode.

I Ran the Memtest86+ just now and it still produces the same amount of errors when they were together in the Blue slots A & B.
However I have read recently somewhere that testing two sticks at the same time with Memtest86+ can bring up some errors even if there arent any, so currently i have them in those slots awaiting a bsod or a restart with Win 7.

Is there anything i'm missing? These 2 ram sticks, even though slightly different, should be compatible on the same motherboard together shouldn't they?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They should be close enough to be compatible.
I would suggest as a last resort buying two new sticks and replacing the memory all together.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

W.e.S

W.e.S

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, just got my first hard system restart with no bsod with the ram set up in single channel.

Using WhoCrashed, this is what I got:

computer name: WES
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom™ II X4 B50 Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4294107136 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1944997888

On Sun 29/01/2012 21:54:42 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012912-5460-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B16CC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80041928F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Hope that is everything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We are going with the most obvious cause first.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image