Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need some major help, cant get upgrades to work. i845g

• Please log in to reply

steven19l

steven19l

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so i just bought some new upgrades for my pc(i845g) i know pretty old. but i bought a p4 3.0ghz cpu and 2gb ram.

1. i wanted to test the ram by it self, so i put the ram in and started it up..after it got to the log on screen it looks horrible like the video is messed. so i searched around and i845g only supports up to ddr 266 frequency..i bought ddr 333. and i read somewhere i just need to overclock? but dont know how to.

2. i removed the 2gb ram. put my 512mb back in, works fine of course. and so decided to try the new cpu. going from a p4 2.0ghz to a p4 3.0ghz....pc wont even turn on..so i changed the my power supply to the highest voltage..pc starts up but nothing happens. fans running and everything. (350W power supply)

i really really could use some help here. thanks in advance!

oh and my bios is Phoenix - Award bios v6.00PG
and have an nvidia geforce fx 5200 8x (256mb)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi steven19l :)

..i bought ddr 333. and i read somewhere i just need to overclock? but dont know how to.

Slight confusion here, components that may be capable of being overclocked include a CPU, Ram and GPUs.
A motherboard cannot be overclocked it can however have a BIOS upgrade but doing this is a last resort when attempting to resolve an issue, should not be attempted by a novice and can cause stability issues or complete failure of the MB.
Solution = Only use 266 MHz or 200 MHz Ram.

and so decided to try the new cpu. going from a p4 2.0ghz to a p4 3.0ghz....pc wont even turn on..

There are many different types of the P4 CPU http://en.wikipedia....microprocessors not all will work in your MB.
Solution = Check if the CPU that you tried is compatible with the MB (refer to list) Socket 478, Max Bus Speed 533.0 MHz etc, do you know that the CPU itself is good, where did it come from?

so i changed the my power supply to the highest voltage

What do you mean by this?