Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 64 bit BSOD when more than 2 gb ram installed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tsmonk

tsmonk

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I am dual booting Windows 7 Pro 64bit and XP Pro 32bit. While the XP installation runs fine with 4GB (2x2GB) of RAM, Windows 7 will freeze or BSOD. When I first installed Windows 7 I had 8GB of identical sticks (4x2GB)and things seemed to go smoothly. With in 48 hours the computer would continually freeze and I noticed that half the Windows updates failed. Unable to resolve the update issue, I did an upgrade (repair?) from the DVD that did not go well. The first attempt froze and the second attempt BSOD'd. I read somewhere that there where issues installing Window 7 on older systems with more than 2GB ram so tried again with just one 2GB stick and was successful. All updates installed and there were had no other issues so I put in another 2GB of RAM and with about an hour or so the computer froze. It did this three times and finally it blue screened. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Checked the PSU with a multi meter at idle and under load (Prime 95). All
voltages within specs.
2. Ran Memtest 86+ separately on each RAM module in DIMM 1 for about two hours each.
No errors.
3. Checked temps with Speedfan. Nothing unusually high. The GPU was a little warm at 63deg. C
but it is a silent card so I guess that's OK.
4. Tested the GPU with a program whose name I can't recall. No errors.

So that's where I stand now, stumped! I can't understand why the XP Pro runs fine with 4GB of RAM (aside from being bloated and in need of clean install) and Windows 7 craps out with the same RAM configuration.

Here is my setup. Epox EP-MF570 SLI, AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+, Asus GeForce 7300GT (Silent). GSkill F2-6400CL6D 8GB (4x2GB). I built this system in 2007 so It's old, like me. Also, I ran Whocrashed and have a report but I don't know how to save the file. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do not duplicate your topic. It makes more work for members and staff and could potentially get you mixed advice being given. Your original topic is HERE so please edit your original post to include any new info but do not reply to your topic or someone may think you are already getting assistance. The duplication may be a glitch so I am closing this topic.Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :)