Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not run windows media player

• Please log in to reply

RPA

RPA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have vista x86 in which the Windows Media Player installed before did not play DVDs, so, I decided to remove it and install a new one.

I did not find its entry in "Programs and Features / add or remove programs", hence I ended up deleting the "Windows Media Player" file manually from the "Program Files" folder and replacing it with another "Windows media Player" folder I had with me in a cd (higher version),

When I tried to execute wmplayer.exe, the following error message appeared "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe is not a valid Win32 application" and I cannot run it, I need help with this!!!

I also changed the wmploc.dll file to a new compatible one with the new "Windows Media Player"!

Can someone also tell me, what DLL files should be there in System32 regarding WMP, because some files were deleted (related to wmp) by my friend by mistake when she tried to solve this problem, cannot figure out which ones exactly !!!

In overall, I want to know what all to be removed completely off from my PC to remove any trace of my old WMP so that I can download a new WMP and install it freshly (also anything regarding the DLL files needed)!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Media Player does not and never has appeared in Programs & Features.

There is no newer version of Media Player, 11 is the only one going for that version of Windows.

Your best bet would be to seek out a "decent" media player program, because Media Player can't play a bunch of files in various popular codecs without a lot of faffing about.

A decent one is VLC Player, which pretty much plays almost everything and then some more out of the box.
http://www.videolan....ad-windows.html

RPA

RPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks!

the 2 versions I mentioned are in the form 11.0.xxxx.xxxx.. they both are kinda ver. 11, I guess!!! vlc doesnot play mp3 very well!! I already have it!! now downloaded Winamp! Do you know any player best fit to play most of the video files (vob, avi, mp4, 3gp, divx...) as well as audio files