Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

major desktop problem

• Please log in to reply

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
my desktop is from 01 and has been very good to me thus far. but within the last month or so, it has been acting a bit funny. it has been making some very weird noises, hissing, reving up and down, and this morning it was making a clicking noise that I had never heard it do before. i was told earlier that it was probably my hard drive about to crash, so i bought another one to replace it. well i have been busy and did not get a chance to copy all my needed files to my other computer and have not replaced the hard drive yet. i left the computer on, as usual, and left the house this afternoon. when i returned about 4 hours later, the room where my desktop is smelled really weird, like something was burning. my husband says it smelled like electrical burning. so we unplugged it and let it sit for awhile. about an hour later i plugged it back in and tried to boot. it booted, but the screen went to black with white text and asked if i wanted to boot in safe mode, or a couple of other options. i chose reboot normally, cuz i did not know what to do, so i did, and i got my desktop screen. i was relieved, but as soon as i went to click on something, it shut down on me. i tried a couple more times to boot, but now cannot get past the screen that asks how do i want to boot. when its on it has that weird smell. i have unplugged it from the surge protector and i don't know what to do. i took an a+ repair class back a few years ago, so i am mildly familiar with taking apart a computer and i am willing to try if anyone thinks it will do me any good. like i said, i do still have a new hard drive that i can install if anyone thinks that will work. please help, i am the most computer literate person that i know, and that aint saying much!!!

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
that sounds cwazeii...sounds like more than one problem...probably power supply and the hard drive...i'd guess your fan went out on your power supply and it's overheating...turn it on and see if it spins...make sure the fan on your processor is working too!

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
yes, it is very crazy. i will check, but i believe i heard the fan running, how do i check if the processor fan is running?

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
if your fan(s) go out, can that be repaired easily and cheaply, or am i better off buying a whole new unit???

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i doubt it was your processor fan if your unit still runs. it should be easy to tell because you won't hear it. you can always open your case and look. your power supply fan is located on the back of your computer. you'll see it if you look back there. depending on how old your comp is you might see a lot of dust buildup when you open it.

if it's your powersupply fan you'll have to replace your powersupply which should cost about $30-#50. your processor fan that should be very cheap but unfortunately your processor might be damaged as well and that's going to cost a bit.

Edited by nestorey, 31 May 2005 - 01:21 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

the room where my desktop is smelled really weird, like something was burning. my husband says it smelled like electrical burning

OK, then common sense says trust your senses - something probably was overheating and/or burning.

First thing I'd suggest is to take the side off your case so you can see, hear and smell better when you do fire it back up. You should manually inspect for bulging or burnt capacitors. If you see any or see an excessive dust like substance where one is mounted, your board is on its way out and either needs immediate repair or is soon to be toast. If it looks OK visually, try starting up and see if you can pinpoint what component or fan is making all the noise. If you get that black screen again with white text, select last known good configuration(highlight and then hit the enter key). Once started, you can check any noisy fans (bad bearings or excessive dirt/dust) by carefully putting your finger momentarily on the center (non bladed) section of the fan to stop it. From the sound of things (your description), my first look see would be the chipset fan if there is one. Next would be power supply. The clicking you hear may just be a fan but is probably the HDD as you suspected. However, if it is getting inadequate power or if the chipset is overheating, you could be getting drive errors totally un-related to the actual health of the HDD. You may want to try cleaning your machine with some dry QTips, a soft artists brush and canned air. Again - you should be able to see whether or not its needed.

You can also download and install Everest's free version and quickly check temperatures and voltage readings. Unless you slept through that repair class or were winking at one of your classmates the whole time, you'll have a pretty good idea of what to look for? Anytime your CPU approaches 60-65C, shut down and clean some more. You should be capable of running in the 40's, no more than low 50's even with a bad case and bad air flow.

Post back and let us know whats going on. Use your head (nose too) and some common sense re: how long to run or when to shut down.

Regards,
:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 31 May 2005 - 03:53 AM.

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks. I tried to boot it up again this morning when I woke up and it seemed as though the fans were running, but I had not removed the case yet. It booted, got to me to that black screen with white text again, but I could not choose which selection I wanted, my mouse nor up/down keys would work. So I waited til it counted down and rebooted on its own. It booted fine, no problems, I heard or smelled, it gave me my desktop but only for about 1 minute. Then it shut down on me just like it did last night when I tested it. I will try to remove the case and see if I can see anything. I did notice last night that there was quite a bit of dust lounging around back behind there, so I did clean all that up on the exterior, but I will take a looksee on the interior. Thanks!

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok, i removed the case and it was filled with dust! I got all that out and looked around a bit. nothing looked burned or weird. both fans were running. still making weird noises. squeaking, churning, so i know that can't be good. but i rebooted and it came up fine. been using it for a few days w/o any booting trouble, still making noises. now i see that some of my more frequented sites i visit, i cannot access. i tried to log into a couple sites and i got an error page. this also happened on my laptop, which the 2 are routed togther on 1 network. I cleared my cashe, cookies, etc on firefox on laptop and its been ok for a few days now. I tried to install firefox on the desktop because since i've tried it on my laptop, i like it much better than ie. but after i installed it, it would not load. also, it seems as if some of my norton internet security modules have been turned off. I cannot run a virus system scan, nor can i turn these protective modules back on. No one has been messing with this computer for awhile now, so I am not sure what is wrong. thanks in advance for your help!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Sorry to hear that Jenn but at the same time, I think we are getting somewhere. We're going to want to do something about those fans but right now, perhaps the bigger problem is the potential that malware has crawled through all that dirty crud and nestled within your system. Why don't you head over here and let one of those malware gurus help you out. Then come on back and we'll tackle those fans.

Regards.

PM me with a link when you do post in the malware removal forum and I'll ride this through with you.

Edited by Rockster2U, 07 June 2005 - 05:37 AM.

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks I appreciate your time & help!

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Because my 2 computers share an internet connection through a wireless router, if one is infected, could my other one get infected too? This may be a dumb question, sorry if it is.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Not a dumb question at all.

Yes.

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I just don't get it. My router supposedly has a forewall, I have norton internet security on both pc's and look what happens...am i doing something wrong???????? ughhhhhhhh :tazz: i just had to clean up a virus that was on my computer at work, and now I get one too. Great. I tried to run CWSHredder and AdAware, but I can't check for updates on either one. I also tried to install Spybot Search & Destroy, but I cannot install it, so I think I am really messed up over here. Well, thanks again for your help!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
The Malware removal experts will get you cleaned up. Just follow that thread I posted earlier and then come on back when you get cleaned up and we'll get back to those fans & etc. Hey - its not the end of the world and you're going to be a whole lot better off as a result of this experience. Keep your chin up.

Edited by Rockster2U, 07 June 2005 - 12:30 PM.