Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This forum posting a "Suspect a malware infection... " stateme

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Mick67

Mick67

• Pip
  • 1 posts
With all the problems that we have with websites "pop-ups" why should we trust your reference at the beginning of these forums with "Suspect a malware infection (virus, spyware, rootkit)? Please start here. Tips to prevent infection.” I'm not trying to be the "smart ..." but "how can we trust you?" And by the way that is why I am writing you because now my computer continually reboots due to my clicking a "pop-up" regarding my computer was detected as having a virus." What can I do?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi - you are infected... But to clean it you must trust us. Now why should you trust us ? Well 'tis a fair comment, so I guess the only way is by you investigating the forum, looking at posts and seeing if we can actually resolve problems. Do we follow through to the end or just dump you when we are bored ?

My biased answer is that this is a trustworthy forum where you will get exceptional help :)

If you wish assistance with your problem then follow the steps outlined below. We only use free software and none of our tools are designed to harm your system

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

THEN

Download aswMBR.exe ( 1.8mb ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.