Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD caused by Flash Player on all Browsers

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
For a month I had been getting BSOD while watching any Videos needing flash player on Google Chrome (no problem on IE8) so i tried to find an answer on the net and most places that i went to many people were having the same issues with Chrome since the latest release of Flash Player (10.3 I think) so i decided until they find a fix to use Firefox so i downloaded Firefox installed it tried it was working good so now i installed the Flash Player for Firefox to be able to wach videos but as soon as it was installed and I watch videos it crashed again.

Fed up I started using IE8 since it did not crashed (not a fan a IE) been ok with no BSOD when watching videos for the last few days but then today flash player for IE updated itself to version 10.3 and as soon (about 15 minutes after) as I started to watch a video it crashed again.

Earlier I had tried to install an earlier version of Flash Player but too many times you cannot watch a video unless you have the latest version of it.

All my BSOD point to my Nvidia video card driver as the culprit (see below for the latest BSOD report) but it works great everywhere else expect videos on the net so it is probably something in the Flash Player either causing the driver of my Video card to crash.

One last thing the BSOD are not automatic sometimes I can wacth videos for hours before it crashes or it may only takes 10 seconds after I start.

On Thu 14/07/2011 8:14:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x2446BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB3A63925, 0xFFFFFFFFB2A3C2E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61 , NVIDIA Corporation).

No Matter what driver I try (latest or older ones) they all crash.

Any help woulb be appreciated or should i just endure it until Adobe fixes the problem since I have seen lots and lots of people with the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried updating your Nvidia video driver to the latest level available?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Yes i did latest one available suggested by the Nvidia tool, I watch dvd's no problem, home made videos no problems, play demanding video games no problem, edit encode videos no problem, it is only when I watch videos on the net that requires flash player that it crashes.

Also I forgot to write that sometimes before crashing the video would freeze and I got a message saying that shockwave player has stop responding and do I want to disable it and when i say yes it crashes right after and if I do not say anything at one point (couple minutes) it ceashes anyway, that message only appeared in Google Chrome, Firefox and IE crashes soon after the video freezes but with no messages.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did this problem start at the same time you upgraded Flash or your Nvidia driver?

Sometimes going back to an older version fixes problems like this.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Only happened once the flash player updated itself, on Chrome it does it by itself, the others I did.

I tried going back to an older version of flash but some videos it would tell me i need the latest version to watch others it would work so this is why I think it is the latest flash the problem.

On IE8 i have version 10,3,181,26
On Mozilla Firefox 10,3,181,34
Google Chrome I uninstalled last week

Yesterday I thought it had updated IE8 to version 10,3,181,34 but it looks like it updated Firefox instead so I will update IE to the latest version and let you know if I still have problems after with either IE or Firefox.

Thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Might try posting in the Flash forum here: Adobe Forum: Forum: Flash

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
To let you know,after updating the bsod stopped but cannot tell you if it was actually fix because my motherboard broke and i had to replace it, now have all new windows XP installed and reinstalled flash player to the latest on Firefox and IE8 and have not had any problems.

Was it due to the flash version like i thought or the fact my motherboard was on its last legs without me knowing, I will never know but now no more problem for sure.

Can close the topis and thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
My bet would be the mother board, but we'll never know. Glad you're up and running again and thanks for letting us know.

beau85

beau85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, read about some solutions. Some said use internet explorer 32 bite, even if your windows is 64 bite, this didn't solve anything.
My video drivers were up to date, hardware pretty solid and new. What solved it was turning hardware acceleration off in flash player. Go to for example youtube, find a video with an advertisement in it (those are the ones still using flash I read), and right click mouse and select configuration (I hope it is configuration, because I translated it from dutch), pops up flash player configuration pop up----> look for the icon of a monitor at the left, there you will find a check for hardware acceleration----> disable that and you should be fine.