Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need the path of my video driver...

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I've been trying to uninstall an ATI graphics driver and install a newer one but the old one won't uninstall... and the new one won't install. I'm trying to use a program called REVO UNINSTALLER and for a FORCED UNINSTALL, it needs the path of the driver I wanna get rid of. Does anyone know how to find the path of that driver?

Please don't direct me to ATI or Dell. Dell doesn't do it... and ATI doesn't list the driver because my card is no longer supported. The driver I want, IS listed on the DRIVER & DOWNLOADS page at Dell but I can't get it.
I'm so frustrated. I tried to browse for the driver and in DELL DRIVERS, the version numbers are completely different from what I'm looking for!!!!!! It's like a bad dream! :)

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez help me! Thanx. :unsure:

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
http://downloads.gur...ad.php?det=1275

Go to this site to download the ATI uninstaller with this you should be able to uninstall any ATI drivers left on your system. After you can try to install your new drivers.

If it is an integrated video card then you will need the drivers from Dell, if you have an add-on video card then you need the ATI drivers.

If you cannot find the drivers please tell us your Dell computer model and what graphic card you have (if you know) so we can help you search for it.

Hope that helps

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
In case your solution doesn't work, I still have one question. How can I find the PATH for my driver.

The computer is a mess right now! The drivedr(s) was partially uninstalled. The flight sim won't run. It says there are no drivers. But outside of the sim, the screen looks normal and in device manager it says the old driver is still there.

When I try to uninstall it, I get an initialization error.
When I downloaded the driver, it says there was an error unzipping.

COMPUTER:
Dell Dimension 5100C small form factor desktop.

GRAPHICS CARD:
2x 128MB ATI Radeon X600 SE

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
In case the ATI uninstaller does not properly remove your driver then try this

If you really want to erase all your ATI drivers you would need to use the program DriverSweeper it will delete all ATI drivers from your computer.

Fisrt download the driver from Dell do not choose run but save it on your computer for future use.

-Then go to your Device Manager and uninstall your graphic card (if you get an error skip that part and try it again once you are in Safe Mode))
-Restart your computer then press F8 to go into safe mode
-If windows Found New device manager appears just cancel it
-Start Driver Sweeper
-Choose the ATI Display box and check it
-Click on Analyse
-It will find all ATI drivers on your PC
-Click on Clean

-After the process is finish restart your computer
-Found New device manager should start cancel it
-Please note your graphic card will be working with the basic VGA drivers so your screen will look poorly (you can adjust the screen resolution from the 800x600 to a more viewable size)
-Open your Graphic driver you had downloaded (if they are zip unzip them first)
-Install your driver
-Restart your computer

If you have trouble unzipping it then your computer might have other problems apart from your video card drivers but you can download the free trial of WINRAR to unzip your drivers

Edited by Alzeimer, 15 July 2011 - 06:51 AM.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Your solution is something I think I can get my head around! :) You covered everything.

Yeah... I haven't used WinZip for a while. I think I'm using 7Zip. Maybe that's the problem I'm having with unzipping the driver. There must be something different about drivers? I've had no trouble with unzipping other stuff in the past.

After working on this for a really long time, I was finally able to at least 'roll back' the old driver so I could use the flight sim on the weekend if I wanted to... but I'm gonna try your solution next week. I mean, only one time did the screen look like enough of the old driver was uninstalled for the computer to use the VGA driver. All other times, the screen looked 'normal' after attempts to uninstall the ATI driver(s).

Oh! Will DRIVER SWEEPER clean out what may be pieces of the NEW driver that got installed on my computer? :unsure: Why would there be the number of the new driver on my system?

Anyway, thanx for your reply. :yes:

I'm learning as much as I can. I only wish I was 20 years old instead of 200! Then I'd have time to really do some cool computing!!! :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Oh! Will DRIVER SWEEPER clean out what may be pieces of the NEW driver that got installed on my computer? :) Why would there be the number of the new driver on my system?

Driver Sweeper will erase all ATI drivers on your computer old & new and any driver even the ones not related to your specific cards, so any driver related to ATI that Windows as in it's driver cab will be erase.