Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sys Restore & Slave Drives

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I am looking a doing a System Restore. My OS is located on C: while I have a second drive/slave located on F:
My question is, if I complete a System Restore will if affect data on my slave drive? will the Slave be uneffected by Sys Restore?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If your F: drive is only for data and back up of files then it will not be affected.

System restores will put your system back to that date and only affects windws system files and any programs, updates that was installed after the date you will restore your computer to, any personal files/data will not be affceted.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I will give it a go. Any other pointers when doing a Sys Restore?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am sorry after reading your post again I just want to make sure if you are doing a Systeme restore point of a system recovery

System Restore point will bring your computer to an earlier date

System recovery will reinstall completely your system to the same state as when you bought it

Either ones will not affect your extra Hard Drive (F:) but a system recovery will erase all personal data on your C: Hard Drive

If you are doing a system restore point may i ask your reason to do this, sometimes a restore point will help sometimes it will not change anything depending on the problem.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I am having trouble with Windows loading. I received a virus/mal a month back and delete some files in the C:Windows folder... yes, a lame action. Now my Windows will cycle through (Dos prompt/Start up) a few times before it loads past the Win XP screen. Sometimes the only way to get past the cycle is the jump the PC into a Scan Disk by shutting it down quickly...

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try a system restore but if that does not fix your problem you might be missing files as you said.

If you have a CD/DVD of your operating system that you use to install your OS then you should try the repair option that will reinstall windows while leaving your personal files intact.

Follow the instructions on this site if you want to do a repair install
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

PS: be sure you have the same version of the service pack installed on your system on your CD/DVD of your OS (XP) or it will not work, if you do not have a CD but a recovery partition try borrowing one from a friend or an acquaintance, just be sure it is the same version all the way (if XP either Home or Pro with the appropriate Service Pack)

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I have two different CD/DVDs of my OS and both are older versions! Argggh! To make matters worst, I am at a new job/new location and not in the position to ask fellow workers!!!

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Well, I tried approx. 8 different Sys Restore points and all have been incomplete, therefore I am unable to do a Sys Restore....

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I have two different CD/DVDs of my OS and both are older versions! Argggh! To make matters worst, I am at a new job/new location and not in the position to ask fellow workers!!!

Are they OEM cd's (like from Dell, HP or Acer ect) if they are then you would not be able to do a system repair with them.

If they are cd's from Microsoft of Windows XP even if they are not the same Service Pack you can always slipstream the appropriate Service Pack to the Instalation files and after burn it on a cd as a bootable ISO image to use for repairing your system.

Follow these Instruction to slipstream and burn it on a cd after.
http://lifehacker.co...installation-cd