Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Water cooling for dummies

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey guys, have some questions about water cooling. First of all while im doing research for my next build, i want to make sure i get the rig set up the way i will like it the first time and ive been debateing on the idea of water cooling as compared to air cooling. I understand some of the pros and cons of water cooling vs air cooling like noise, maintinence. Air being cleaning fans and dust n such with water, its refilling the tanks and water tube maintinence. However ive never so much as seen a true water cooled system in person, just pictures. So my question is, what would be a good set up to go with? Is there any guides like my thread title implies "water cooling for dummies" also what would be the difference in cost from like after market coolers for components with water vs air? Is it worth investing in a custom watercooling rig or could i get by with a good "kit" set up?

I would also like to say, overclocking isnt something im to worried about, ive been interested in the idea but im more thinking about having a rig that can handle long hours of MMO stress. Most computers start to sweat at 8 hours straight of raids ive found. If i can get a set up that would handle this kind of stress that would keep me very happy. However regardless for the sake of furthering my understanding of all things geek i would still like to know more about water cooling even if a set up of air cooling would be adiquate.

Thanks again you gurus of the geeky world!
Gabe

ps I did do a little searching around on your forum but didnt find any guides that werent dead links so if i just happened to miss them i do apologize. Again THANKS!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Gaberial
This may help http://www.tomshardw...ur-pc,1573.html there does not seem to be very much information on the subject out there.
One thing I can tell you is that not using the cooler supplied with a new CPU or a recommended one if not supplied you will invalidate the CPU warranty.

AMD: http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Specifically;
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Intel: http://download.inte...yr_warranty.pdf

Again specifically;
damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical
power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance
with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper
testing

I hope that the above information is of use and that it helps you decide the way you wish to proceed.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks phillpower2 any info is better then none. Im just trying to figure out what i would be getting myself into by setting up water cooling for my computer. Ive heard people say its a lot of work but then again also heard the same complaints about just setting up aftermarket fans for cpus and or adding new fans n such to gpus. Not bothered by the work or having the patience to do all the stuff lol. any information is better then nothing!

thanks again
gabe

oh and yeah i know about the warrenty thing. which i cant blame manufacturers for the warrenty thing. They are just covering themselves incase some nincompoop decides to put a cooler on the cpu backwards because it fits their case better and fries it as a result lol.

Edited by Gaberial, 17 July 2011 - 08:46 AM.