Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to retrieve media files from old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

IUBiff

IUBiff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello guys, newbie here. I recently bought an E Machines computerafter my HP was killed in a lightning strike. I have installed the old hard drive into my computer and am currently running it as a slave to store music and what not. What I would like to do is retrieve all of my old music, but I cannot find it on the hard drive. I don't know if this is due to the fact that I had my profile password protected and privatized, or that they just mysteriously disappeared. Is there a way for me to get my old music??????? Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Was the old hard drive running a different OS, or have you formatted it recently? Otherwise it should be there :s

IUBiff

IUBiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I was running it under Windows XP Pro. This new comp. came bundled with XP Home. I haven't formatted it recently. THis is what I have tried. I open up the drive, go to Documents and settings, and try and open"Biff"(my user name). A dialogue box pops up saying that the folder is unaccessible. The only reason I can think of is because it is password protected and all of the files are privatized.

IUBiff

IUBiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, so I did some searching and it looks like this has happened to someone else. He was then recommened to a site the told him how to regain ownership over a file. THe directions didn't work for me. It is saying that access is denied, and I have no way to get on the hard drive and change the password protection. I can view all of my program files, but no documents. I conneceted the old HD to the primary cables, and changed the jumper position to master, and I couldn't even boot up Windows, my computer just kept restarting. I have no idea what is wrong with it and need to access these documents. THanks.

IUBiff

IUBiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
THanks for the help. (Sarcasm) I went over the instructions that I found earlier and got it to work.

robhate

robhate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently had the same problem, with trying to put a old hard drive in a new system. Did you ever get it working??? I have 30 gig of music i could do with.

thanks loads rob.