Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP: Hibernate, standby, screen saver, and monitor power-down a

• Please log in to reply

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
So I'm running XP on a Dell Workstation with dual Xeon processors at 2.6. I have about one gig of Rambus memory. Paltry, but my options are pricey. Lately it has been exhibiting an annoying condition where hibernate, standby, screen saver, and monitor power-down all do not occur, ever. I have a plan set up where the system is to turn off the monitor after 30 minutes of inactivity; hibernate after two hours (by hibernate I mean commit memory to non volatile storage for complete power down; not standby). Normally I'll leave it alone and go about the day and whatever; one morning I found it still on. It actually idled all night. I restarted it and left it on; went to bed; it was off the next morning. Over time the problem would return occasionally, becoming more and more frequent. Now the system flat out does not follow the power plan; it just idles day and night if I let it. When I restart it I have to cross my fingers because restarting is no longer a guaranteed fix. I'm not sure what I'm looking at here; registry error? Perhaps some program keeps performing a task, bumping the timer back to zero? I have no clue how to catch the culprit. If I had more memory I'd just abandon it and move to Win 7. Not sure how much longer the proprietary PSU is going to last, so I don't want it running all night when I forget it. All help appreciated. (I included photographic evidence that I actually do have the scheme enabled... in case the question arises; I'm certain many people you help are oblivious).

Attached Thumbnails

• pop.jpg

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Check out this first
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477
you say the problem is that it will not hibernate, check that you have the hyberfil file on the root of C. and check on the hibernation tab that enable hibernation is checked. although if hibernation is set it should be.

Also as the hibernation requires a block of available space on the hard drive at least equal to the space required for the ram memory to be written to the hard drive, check your drive fragmentation, slthough it would require serious fragmentation on a drive to prevent hibernation.

The usual problem is a device driver, that will not allow windows to close it.

Examine the error log in application in event viewer

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 July 2011 - 03:33 PM.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for your response. The system can in fact hibernate; I have the power button's function set to hibernate the system. The problem is that the system will not hibernate after 2 hours as I have it set; it is supposed to hibernate by itself. If I manually press the power button, the system does readily hibernate. The monitor is also supposed to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity, but it does not do this as well... it just stays on all night.

When I restarted the system today a process had to be stopped by the system; I chose to end the task. Since the restart, the monitor did shut off and the system did hibernate by itself. It will stop hibernating in a day or two, guaranteed. Here is the event log from the restart:

Application popup: dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

The Event log service was stopped.

This happens often when shutting down completely. I'm not sure if something like this would hinder monitor shut off.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run a chkdsk /r from cmd prompt or grom the GUI of My Computer by right clicking the hard drive click properties, tools, error checking, check now, click to check both boxes, start and agre to run on restart.
On completion go event viewer, application on left pane, scroll in main window to winlogon entry, open it, check it is the chkdsk results and if you feel the need to, click once on left click on the double page symbol to the right below the up and down arrows, then right click and paste on your reply message.

After that run a system file checker which is sfc /scannow at the start and run.
It may well require the XP CD.
If you do not have it post back after seeing how far you can progress without it.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 7/27/2011
Time: 8:01:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MP3
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 385 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 385 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 385 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

20482843 KB total disk space.
19194492 KB in 74667 files.
35784 KB in 13582 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
166311 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
1086256 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
5120710 total allocation units on disk.
271564 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 7a 01 00 c4 58 01 00 02 f6 01 00 00 00 00 00 .z...X..........
56 01 00 00 03 00 00 00 9f 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 V...............
9c 1f ff 08 00 00 00 00 c8 1f 57 34 00 00 00 00 ..........W4....
5c f0 00 17 00 00 00 00 ae c2 91 d5 04 00 00 00 \...............
ee f3 12 5b 00 00 00 00 a8 2f 1e 8c 05 00 00 00 ...[...../......
30 ae 81 9a 00 00 00 00 e8 3a 07 00 ab 23 01 00 0........:...#..
00 00 00 00 00 f0 89 93 04 00 00 00 0e 35 00 00 .............5..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this please and send me the results
Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
RUN the test ANON
That is at the end of the page that opens - when you click the Overdrive test
If you do not wish to create a free user account, you can still run overdrive anonymously

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine

Additionally to that you have not included in your reply how you wnet on with System file checker AND you have a 20Gb HDD with only 1.08 Gb of free space that is dangerously close to the acceptable limit which should be maintained at 2GB. MINIMUM

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 July 2011 - 02:53 PM.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I did not run SFC yet because I could not locate my Windows CD. Now I have it and can proceed. As for the HDD space... I can't think of anything else that I can move off this drive.I already have an additional 350 GB drive where I locate program data. Like I said; only a few more months left for this unit. I'll run SFC and post back. Thanks for the help.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
SFC did not seem to resolve it either. I'm moving to the next step.

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have completed the tests. I hope the URL is proper.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24504080