Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot get into Safe Mode or into BIOS

• Please log in to reply

AZCMer

AZCMer

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have been in the malware forum (this thread). I was browsing and had about 9 tabs open in Firefox when everything went wonky and my monitor went pixelated and turned blue. I lost my desktop and had my computer boot into a temporary desktop. I did a system restore and re-eradicated the malware and my system seems to be okay as far as that goes.

However, I am unable to boot into safe mode nor am I able to access my BIOS. (Of course, how would I know whether all this caused me being unable to do this since I had no cause to try before this trouble.)

I have tried hitting F10 at start up, F1 at start up, F8 at start up, esc at start up. I also tried shutting down my computer with a hard shutdown hoping that when I turned it back on that it would want to do a selective startup.

The only thing I haven't tried is using msconfig for a startup into Safe Mode because at the time I had malware on my computer. Cold Titanium has referred me over here. I'm not sure if my boot sequence got damaged from all this, but I'm looking to you for help.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by AZCMer, 15 July 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try hitting the delete key while the computer is booting up.

SRX660

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thank you for replying.

Just tried it and the same thing happened that happens when I try anything else. . .

I start the machine and turn on my monitor.
My screen is black and my monitor is searching for a signal, can't find one and goes to sleep.
Meanwhile I am hitting the Delete key.
Monitor remains black.

BTW, when booting up, I get no splash screen at all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi AZCMer
Without the computer details it is hard to assist as laptop and desktop PC diagnostics vary, please see canned text;

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

BTW, when booting up, I get no splash screen at all.

This may suggest video chip failure be it integrated on a laptop or desktop MB or an add on video card in a desktop, it can also occur in a desktop when the PSU cannot provide enough power.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
EDIT: Previous post duplicated in error :) .

Edited by phillpower2, 16 July 2011 - 11:12 AM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi.

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop computer.

p6210y
AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor 2.6 GHz
6 GB RAM
64-bit Operating System
Nvidia GForce 9100
Monitor HP 2011x

Is there anything else I ought to include?

Edit: I believe the motherboard is system board: nVidia MCP 78/77/72 and baseboard: Pegatron Violet build. I don't understand what that means. Also, I don't know what PSU is.

Edited by AZCMer, 16 July 2011 - 01:47 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried running chkdsk (check disk)?

If not i would try it because it seems you have missing or corrupt files after removing the viruses.

In XP

http://www.updatexp....-xp-chkdsk.html

in Vista or Win 7

http://www.vistax64....isk-chkdsk.html

Then see if it fixes the problem. Please read the websites carefully so you have a good idea as to the sequence you need to use.

SRX660

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Here's the thing . . .

I set my system up to do a chkdsk on reboot and then I rebooted.
I think my system did a chkdsk for the blue power light was on and the amber 'busy' light was flickering.
However, my screen remained in sleep mode and stayed black.

Perhaps this is a clue. I am wondering if I can get into safe mode and access my bios, but cannot see because for some reason my monitor isn't receiving a signal.

Edit: I just rebooted and tried F8 once again. Still couldn't see anything on the screen, but I can see on the tower that the amber light flickered and stopped as though waiting a response from me. I know this is a lot to hope for, but I'm hoping for an easy fix.

Edited by AZCMer, 16 July 2011 - 08:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

I set my system up to do a chkdsk on reboot and then I rebooted.

How (if no display) and when was this done?
When you power on you get no display of any kind, is this correct?
Things to check if you havn`t already 1:The condition of the screen to PC cable, any bent pins in the end connectors, are both ends secure (finger tighten only) 2:Attaching to a different screen (a laptop with a VGA port will do) 3:Try the other display port DVI if using VGA or vice versa 4:Clearing the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, if you get the screen back you will need to go into the BIOS, reset the time and date, save (F10) and then Y to accept the changes 5:Try a known good power supply unit (PSU), it must be equal to or above the stock 300W type that was supplied with the PC 6:Try an add on video card, the PCI-E X16 type and again make sure that the PSU can power the card.
Your MB details http://whp-java.extw...e=c01859864#N35

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I set up the chkdsk by clicking on computer and right clicking on the C drive. The computer wanted to reboot to start the check disk, which I allowed it to do. It took FOREVER! and then that's when I realized it was probably running the chkdsk but I couldn't see it. The power light was on and the amber 'working' light was flickering. I allowed it to run its course and then the system booted into the logon screen. So. . . no I don't know that check disk actually ran, but I suspect so because of the way the tower was acting and the time it took.

This morning, I disconnected the DVI connection to my monitor and connected the VGA and saw that the system had a splash screen. However, the monitor was very dark and difficult to navigate.

Just to double check, I used my tv as a monitor. I first hooked it up to VGA, but now it was too dark to see the splash screen. I hooked it up to DVI and got no splash screen, but the video works.

If I reseat the CMOS and cannot get into BIOS, what happens? Should I go ahead with this next step?

Does MB stand for motherboard?

Edited by AZCMer, 17 July 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

If I reseat the CMOS and cannot get into BIOS, what happens? Should I go ahead with this next step?

I do not believe this will be necessary now as we have established now that getting a display is achievable.
Previously you said there was no splash screen and that the screen stayed black, this was confusing as it suggested that you had no display of any kind and was the reason that I asked in post #9 but you did not answer;

When you power on you get no display of any kind, is this correct?

From what you are describing now I feel that the VGA port is bad and that it may not be too long before the DVI port on the integrated video chip fails also.

I first hooked it up to VGA, but now it was too dark to see the splash screen. I hooked it up to DVI and got no splash screen, but the video works.

Are you aware that the splash screen can be disabled? Try tapping the Tab key when you boot up, also worth a mention check the brightness is turned up on your monitor.

Does MB stand for motherboard?

Yes.

EDIT: For acessing the BIOS try holding down the F10 key on boot up as opposed to tapping it.

Edited by phillpower2, 17 July 2011 - 12:25 PM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yes, I agree I may not have been as clear as I ought to have been. Thank you for your patience.

I just got this monitor. I hooked it up using a DVI cable. I never dreamed that the VGA port may have been bad and that is why my previous monitor didn't work (it was one of the first flat screens). Switching cables helped me to see this more clearly. Also, using my tv as a monitor helped.

I was aware that the splash screen could be disabled. One place is in msconfig. However, in my msconfig, the GUI hasn't been disabled. >>>sigh<<<

I will try booting up and hitting the tab key and see if that does anything. Also, I will try holding down the F10 key to get into BIOS. Then I will report back here my results.

Edit: When rebooting, I hit the tab key, but the screen remained black. I also tried rebooting and holding down the F10 key and, as before, it seemed to work only I couldn't see it.

Edited by AZCMer, 17 July 2011 - 01:21 PM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Ok, I've been awaiting a response. . .

My old monitor works on another system. I see the splash screen and am able to boot into safemode. Does not work on this one.
My new monitor works on another system. The VGA does not work on this one.

My VGA and DVI ports are connected directly to the motherboard which probably means I'll have to replace my motherboard to get everything to work properly. . . Unless I can somehow just replace the VGA port?

I am unable to access BIOS or any other processes during start up on my Windows 7 computer.

What would happen if I tried to boot into safe mode via msconfig?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
From post #9

6:Try an add on video card, the PCI-E X16 type and again make sure that the PSU can power the card.
Your MB details available @ http://whp-java.extw...e=c01859864#N74

Is this below what you are after?
There’s an option in the well-known System Configuration utility that will let you force Windows to always boot into Safe mode… until you turn the option off.
To force Windows to Boot into Safe Mode;
Open up the start menu search or run box, and type in msconfig and hit the enter key.
Select the Boot tab, and then check the box for “Safe boot” and make sure the radio button below is set to “Minimal”.
Once you hit the OK button you’ll be asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later. Either way, the next boot will take you into safe mode.
Once you restart, you’ll realize that you are in Safe Mode because it not only places that text in the four corners of the screen, but it even opens up the safe mode page from the help file in Windows 7 or Vista.

To turn Safe Mode Back Off

Once you are done fixing whatever you were working on, you’ll probably want to turn safe mode off and go back to normal mode. Just open up msconfig the same way as above, and then on the Boot tab you’ll uncheck the “Safe boot” checkbox.

EDIT: Link to PC/MB repaired

Edited by phillpower2, 26 July 2011 - 09:36 AM.

AZCMer

AZCMer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
All of a sudden I got fearful and have come back here for encouragement. . .

What if I cannot see the screen while in safemode? Will I be able to ever reboot my computer normally?

I am reading on the HP forum about my mother board having problems with the new BIOS fan cycling at different speeds. I was able to check my BIOS version. It is 5.21 dated 3-25-2010. So, that is not the problem.

Frustration. . .

Do I just trash this puppy? Buy a new motherboard? Is this system even redeemable?

So back to the graphics card. I'm not finding any information out there on adding a new card or even if I have an slot to put a new card into. Most of the information I'm finding is generic. Even HP doesn't discuss adding a graphics card to this particular pc. Can you point me in a direction to get more information?

Thanks for your patience with me. I am trying to learn and just feel as though I'm over my head.