Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AM2+ sockets.

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I'm trying to find out if my AM2+ socket (currently with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+) can support a Phenom II x4 965.

I am told that the AM2+ socket can support AM3 cores with a firmware upgrade, Wikipedia says my current core uses the AM2+, I'm pretty sure that's correct, so in theory my current motherboard can use the Phenom II core.

Can any of you guys confirm this?

I'm upgrading to modern standards, and it would be swell if I didn't have to buy a new MoBo.

Also, what would a firmware upgrade entail? I've messed around building computers quite a lot, I know my way around the basic hardware, but I've never done something this complex (or this expensive) so any advice would be very welcome.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If you go to the MB manufacturers website it will tell you what CPUs are compatible.
Post the MBs details brand, model and any revision number and we can check for you,
some examples @ http://www.gigabyte....&jid=13&p=2&v=3

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Agreed. You cannot go by the socket as it is used for many different CPUs. You MUST go by the compatibility as determined by the chipset and board maker. Almost all motherboard makers maintain a QVL - qualified vendor list - for each of their boards for both CPUs and RAM that is compatible with that board. You must buy the CPU from the list. There are too many RAM makers for motherboard makers to test and list them all so you can buy RAM off the list, but it MUST match specs of RAM listed.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Thanks for the reply guys, this is what CPU-Z says about my MoBo:

MAINBOARD
Manufacturer: Acer
Model: F690GVM
Chipset: ATI RS690/RS690M
Southbridge: ATI SB600
LPCIO: ITE IT8718

BIOS
Brand: Pheonix Technologies LTD
Version: 6.00PG
Date: 06/25/2007

GRAPHIC INTERFACE
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16
Max Supported: x16

Edited by averysadman, 16 July 2011 - 06:17 AM.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I've been looking around forums and I can't find a clear YES or NO to my question, nor can I find a QVL for the Acer F690GVM.
Wikipedia says the core is compatible with the AM2+ slot, and Wikipedia also says that my current core uses an AM2+, so theoretically it should work.
That's the extent of the information I have been able to find.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is it an Acer Aspire M1100 Desktop machine by any chance?

The AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ is listed as an AM2 model, not AM2+.

The BIOS date on the machine dates from 2007. The AM2+ specification was not pushed out by AMD until May 2008. Therefore it cannot be AM2+, it can only be AM2.
Unfortunately a lot of AM2 boards were not given BIOS updates to make them AM2+ compatible, but the processors would have worked interchangably. But without any updates it isn't going to happen anyway.

Sorry. New board and memory me thinks.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Is it an Acer Aspire M1100 Desktop machine by any chance?

No, it's an Acer Aspire M3100.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Socket_AM2+

Wikipedia tells me the Kuma based Athlon 64 x2 model has an AM2+ socket.
Does the 4000+ in AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ not mean "+" as in AM2+?

I was talking with a fried who is a little more tech-savvy than me and he thinks the Phenom II will work on my MoBo with a firmware update, but the memory type will be downgraded from DDR3 to DDR2.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok, after doing some more questing on Google, it now seems that Neil is right, and my socket is an AM2, not an AM2+.
The Phenom will work with the AM2 however, but would be limited to 2.6GHz per core, which defeats the purpose of even buying one.

Now that means I need a new mainboard, and I have no idea where to start.
I currently have 4Gb DDR2 RAM, I'm ordering the AMD Phenom II 950, and I'm ordering an ATI Radeon HD 5850.
What does a MoBo come with when you buy one? Just the bare board or does it have a soundcard, etc?
Man, this is a mess now, does this mean I'm going to have to make sure it's compatible with every individual component of my current PC?

How should I go about this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Not sure where in the world you are but this is an example of what is available to you; http://www.ebuyer.com/product/249342
Best bit of advice I can give you to help you pick the best MB is 1: Fully read and understand the MBs specifications and 2: Read and consider any customer reviews of the board.
I hope this helps and let us know what you decide on or if we can assist in any way.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok, it has taken me a couple of days, but with the help of a friend I have been able to figure out an affordable build that should be compatible. It has kind of escalated, I originally only wanted to swap out the GPU and CPU, but my current rig is more outdated than I thought.
Getting a new CPU required a new MoBo, getting a new MoBo required getting getting new RAM and a new PSU etc.
So here is the current build:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 950 x4 3.5GHz (Black)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-D3L AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4Gb DDR3 (2x2Gb)
Monitor: Acer V223WEObd LCD 22" 1680x1050/60Hz

With a bit of tweaking this is still within my budget, all that is left now before I can place my orders is the PSU.
I don't know anything about the compatability of the PSU, or how to find out what cables it should have and how many, all I know is that I need 500W or more to power the components of the PC.

The only one I have found so far is this one:
http://www.google.co...eviews&start=10
It looks good, and it's affordable, but I have no idea what kind of power connections it has.
Is it safe to assume it will have everything my parts need?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Getting a new CPU required a new MoBo, getting a new MoBo required getting getting new RAM and a new PSU etc.

And getting a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and a new computer requires its own license for Windows. OEM licenses are NOT transferable to new motherboards or new computers.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

And getting a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and a new computer requires its own license for Windows. OEM licenses are NOT transferable to new motherboards or new computers.

That's ok, it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm just focussing on the physical parts at the moment, any software is a secondary concern.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay. As long as you are aware.

I note that 4Gb (with dual channel motherboards) is my recommended minimum today, with 8Gb as the preferred amount of RAM - and of course, 64-bit Windows.

The PSU should not be an issue. If it is ATX, it will fit your case, and if pretty current, it will have all the cables you need. If there is any concern, it is typically with the graphics card. This is easily checked by checking the graphics card website.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Okay. As long as you are aware.

I note that 4Gb (with dual channel motherboards) is my recommended minimum today, with 8Gb as the preferred amount of RAM - and of course, 64-bit Windows.

The PSU should not be an issue. If it is ATX, it will fit your case, and if pretty current, it will have all the cables you need. If there is any concern, it is typically with the graphics card. This is easily checked by checking the graphics card website.

8Gb would be twice the price, however, and a MoBo with 4 RAM slots is more expensive too.
How much do you think the RAM will affect the gameplay? Crysis for example has a recommended 2Gb, and ArmA II's recommended is only 1Gb, I won't be doing any video editing or rendering, so I thought 4Gb would be plenty?
Worst case scenario I can upgrade to 2x4Gb if needed at a later date.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is important to note that game makers totally understand that most users cannot afford monster game machines. So they program to provide great "game play" even on lessor systems. However, to do that, they cut back, often drastically on special effects, visual details, backgrounds and other things that affect performance, but not really the "play" of the game.

As far as replacing your RAM later, yes, you can do that - but then you have to toss the 2 current sticks.