Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AM2+ sockets.

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It is important to note that game makers totally understand that most users cannot afford monster game machines. So they program to provide great "game play" even on lessor systems. However, to do that, they cut back, often drastically on special effects, visual details, backgrounds and other things that affect performance, but not really the "play" of the game.

As far as replacing your RAM later, yes, you can do that - but then you have to toss the 2 current sticks.

Hmm, thats a good point.
How central is RAM to system performance? I never considered RAM to be that important compared to the CPU and GPU, my view was that as long as you had enough processing power and video performance the RAM didn't matter so much. If you multitask a lot and have multiple windows and programs open, or if you edit videos or work with 3D software I can see why you would need a lot of RAM, but how much will doubling my RAM influence gameplay on a machine that exists purely to play games?
Currently, I don't even have any browsing software on my tower, I use a laptop for everything work and internet related, I also use it as an airlock, as the tower never connects to the internet and has no antivirus software, nothing that would impact it's performance in any way, even a little.
I run everything through the laptop before it reaches the tower, all downloads, antivirus, browsing, videos, etc are done there.
Would more RAM really be necessary on such a tower, or have I completely underestimated the importance of RAM?

Worst case scenario I can not get the monitor, which frees up €100 that I could spend on better RAM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

How central is RAM to system performance? I never considered RAM to be that important compared to the CPU and GPU, my view was that as long as you had enough processing power and video performance the RAM didn't matter so much

No that is incorrect. I would rather have a bunch of RAM than a more powerful CPU.

RAM is the working space the CPU and OS need to work in. If you have a tiny amount of RAM, the CPU and OS will constantly be swapping data in and out of RAM. And where does it swap this from? The "swap file", other wise known as the Page File, which is located on the ssslllooowww (compared to RAM) hard disk.

A good graphics card is important too - especially in today's graphics oriented world. The better the graphics solution, the more tasks the CPU can hand off to the graphics solution. And it takes very little CPU horsepower to hand off tasks.

So in terms of bang for the buck, I rank RAM, Graphics and CPU in that order.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

How central is RAM to system performance? I never considered RAM to be that important compared to the CPU and GPU, my view was that as long as you had enough processing power and video performance the RAM didn't matter so much

No that is incorrect. I would rather have a bunch of RAM than a more powerful CPU.

RAM is the working space the CPU and OS need to work in. If you have a tiny amount of RAM, the CPU and OS will constantly be swapping data in and out of RAM. And where does it swap this from? The "swap file", other wise known as the Page File, which is located on the ssslllooowww (compared to RAM) hard disk.

A good graphics card is important too - especially in today's graphics oriented world. The better the graphics solution, the more tasks the CPU can hand off to the graphics solution. And it takes very little CPU horsepower to hand off tasks.

So in terms of bang for the buck, I rank RAM, Graphics and CPU in that order.

Ok, I've consulted with my friend and he agrees, so I will hold off on the monitor untill my next job, and I will get 2x4Gb.
How does this look?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/262585

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It "looks" nice. But I'm not much into looks, except whats on my monitors! :)

If the specs match compatible RAM listed on the QVL, then you should be good to go.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

It "looks" nice. But I'm not much into looks, except whats on my monitors! :)

If the specs match compatible RAM listed on the QVL, then you should be good to go.

Ok, well my cheque just went through, and I have (i think) all the information I need.
Thanks for your help!
The parts should arrive within the week, so I'll post here to tell you guys how it goes, and to ask for advice concerning any problems that may arise while putting it together.