Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Renew IP Address/RPC Unavailable

• Please log in to reply

killer g

killer g

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been trying to install a Bellsouth Fast Access DSL Modem. However, I have had problems getting the modem to communicate with the computer. The Local Area Connection icon in the system tray says that it's trying to acquire a network address. I talk with some reps and we go through some command prompts with ipconfig and ipconfig /renew and all that stuff. The problem is that I can't renew the IP address because the RPC server is unavailable. I already went to Services and it said that both the RPC and the RPC Locator have started and I set them both to automatic. This doesn't resolve the issue. Anyone have any ideas? I've been trying to get this thing going for over a week now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Killer,

I tried to respond earlier but I was having some connection issues.

I have a couple of questions first:
1. Are you connecting with an ethernet cable or usb?
2. Has your computer been obtaining DHCP addresses recently? From where?
3. Do you have ANY type of firewall installed?
4. Do you have a router that could be installed if need be for testing purposes?

Also, I'm assuming that the modem is one that Bellsouth provides while you are purchasing service from them? If so, then those modems usually change hands many times, it is possible that the modem is bad. If it is one that you have recently purchased, the odds are low, but it could still be bad. Please fill me in on the previous information and I will do my best to assist you.

Greazy Mcgeezy

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I had a technical support person from Bellsouth come and install my new modem. The problem was that the modem couldn't acquire an IP address: to remedy this, we simply typed in one that was recommended by Bellsouth. It works fine now. Now my problem is that I'm having trouble getting my Belkin Wireless G router to communicate with the computer. Its problem is that it can't acquire its IP address. Now to answer your questions:

1) Ethernet
2)Dont' know what that is
3)I've got Windows Firewall
4)Yes

Keep in mind that I have a new problem now Greazy. Since I will only be using this router to hook up Xbox Live, do you think getting a 2 wire router will fix the problem?

Edited by killer g, 01 June 2005 - 03:55 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Now my problem is that I'm having trouble getting my Belkin Wireless G router to communicate with the computer. Its problem is that it can't acquire its IP address.

DHCP - Dynamic Host Control Protocol - This is what would normally be allowing you to automatically obtain an IP address. But since you can't, you are not recieving DHCP. This leads me to believe that the router doesn't have DHCP Server enabled. Has this router been used before and if so, do you know the IP address it had? More than likely it was/is either 192.168.0.1 OR 192.168.1.1. Now, to try and find out:
On the computer that is trying to connect and not recieving a network address, go to Control Panel>Network Connections, and right-click the LAN adapter icon, go to properties. There, select the "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and click the properties button. Check the radio button that says, "Use the following IP address" and enter in:
IP Address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Don't worry about DNS for now.

Now, click Start>Run, type: cmd
At the command prompt, type: ping 192.168.0.1
If this doesn't work, try the changing the IP address to 192.168.1.100 and repeat the last step. One of these should give you back a response other than "Request timed out".

Keep in mind that I have a new problem now Greazy. Since I will only be using this router to hook up Xbox Live, do you think getting a 2 wire router will fix the problem?

I'm not quite sure I'm following what you are saying here. Could you please give a briefly detailed description of how your network is laid out??
Here is how it should be:
DSL connection coming into home, connects to the DSL modem. On back of DSL modem, there is an ethernet port, standart patch cable connects that ethernet port to the WAN port on the router. Then each connection other than the WAN that is wired, will get a standard patch cable connected to a port on the switch part of the router.

What exactly are you referring to as a "two wire router"?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Llanally

Llanally

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a similar problem. I am trying to add my computer to an existing (and functional) wireless network. My computer will not connect because it does not have an IP address. When typing in ipconfig /renew, it gives the IP address as 0.0.0.0 and this message: "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Connection 8: the RPC server is unavailable." I read on another site that starting the DHCP under Control Panel-->AdminTools-->Services should resolve this issue, however when I press the Start button for it a get the smessage" DHCP will not start. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start." When I looked at the dependencies tab, however, there are no depencies listed.

I have Windows XP with SP2, the firewall is disabled. I am using a Linksys USB network adapter. I have tried hardwiring to the internet (Cox High Speed) and the same message comes up.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I think the IP of my router is 192. 168.1.2 . So I would type this in under IP address of the Local Area Connection that I use to get to the internet? And I do this after I bridge the connection?

I tried going to services and seeing if DHCP was on and it wasn't, so I tried to start it again and it gave me the same error as lanally: error 1068: dependency service or group failed to start. I went to the dependencies tab and this is what I have listed:

AFD Networking Support Environment
NetBT
SYMTDI
TCP/IP Protocol Drivers

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, Llanally, please start your own thread. Since everybody's problem is unique, it helps if we can address the problems in an individual manner.

Killer,
You do not start DHCP on your computer. You are trying to receive DHCP from the router. If you think that the routers old address was 192.168.1.2, then give yourself an ip of 192.168.1.15 and then go to the command prompt and type ping 192.168.1.2. If that works then that is correct. If it doesn't, then we still need to find out what the ip is.
Go get GFI Network Security Scanner

You will have to fill in some information to d/l and YES, THEY WILL CALL THE NUMBER YOU GIVE THEM within a day or two, and again within a couple weeks, TRUST ME ON THAT ONE. So be warned, they will ask you what you thought of their evaluation software and will ask if you want to purchase. Anyway, run that program and search your network. Set up your machine with 192.168.0.15, then set the range to search as: 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 and set the option to "Ping them all", you will get a "pong" back from 192.168.0.15, if that's the only one, no success it's you. Set your IP to 192.168.1.15, repeat scan, changing the range to 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254, scan. Repeat in this manner until you find it.

Or, set up Ethereal on your machine and install WinPcap. Then start a capture and view the traffic that is being produced. You should find only 2 host's, yours, and the router. That should give you an IP.

And you still didn't explain. What are you referring to as a "two wire router"?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 02 June 2005 - 07:00 PM.

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I'll try everything that you just said. And to tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure what a 2 wire router is. The technician that came to my house and set up my modem told me that I should try to get a 2 wire router for it. So that's about all I know about it.

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I tried GFILAN program but the only IP it ever found was the one that I had manually typed in under the Local Area Connection. I'll try the Ethereal thing now. I'm a little confused about something. Since I have a Bellsouth Modem, you have to type in the modem's ip in IE and it gives me the modem homepage. I navigate to the connection page and I get the option about what type of connection I want: PPP0e or Bridge Ethernet. I'm able to surf the web using the PPP one. The Bridge ethernet I know is for the router. Since I'm ONLY using the router to hook up Xbox Live and I'm NOT hooking up a 2nd computer, is the Bridge Ethernet connection still needed? Can I keep it as PPP0E and still expect to be able to get the router working? The other thing is that under Network Connections, under the High Speed or Lan column there is only the Local Area Connection that I use to connect to the internet via the modem. Is there supposed to be like a router connnection tab or something like that that is supposed to be there too? Or am I just using the Local Area Connection that I use to connect to the internet and then "adding" the router connection to it? I'm not sure if that really makes sense....ok, I'll just go ahead and try the Ethereal thing now before I really confuse myself :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Your wireless router should have a total of 5 or 6 ports on the back of it. One labeled WAN, and 4 ports labeled respectively 1-4. If you have the sixth one, it would be labeled Uplink (don't worry if you don't have that one). If you only have one ethernet port in the "router", then you don't have a router, it's an access point. If you could be so kind as to post the Model # of the device that is being referred to we could find out what kind of device it is and take further steps from there.

Just saw your last post, leave it as PPPoE. Ok, so you are saying that you DON'T want your computer to get online? Just the XBOX? I am royally confused about how you have this setup, what you want, and what kind of devices you are using. Please elaborate AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as to what your setup is like. This helps to understand what you are talking about when you refer to "Two wire Router" and your LAN connection. A LAN connection IS usually one that is hooked to a router/access point/broadband modem. There should be at least two connections in your Network Connections.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 03 June 2005 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, my router is a Belkin Wireless G Router- Version 2000-Part #F5D72300-4. Under Network connections all I have is 2 connections: my Local area Connection 2 which is how my modem is connected to my computer and I have my old AOL 9.0 Dialup Connection that I plan on getting rid of pretty soon. More less, your assumption is correct: I don't really care if I'm able to connect to the internet using the router (because I can always undo the router and use the regular connection when I want to surf the web). However, if I can get it to where I can do both: connect to the web and connect Xbox Live using the router, then I'd rather do that. My modem is connected directly to my computer using an ethernet cable. When I hook up my router (it has the 4 extra ports that you were talking about, so it's a router) I hook it up by unplugging the ethernet cable from my computer and connect it to the router (so my router is connected to my modem). Then I connect the router to the computer via a cable that came with the router. I'm sure I got the setup right because all the lights that should be lit up on the router, are. Also, I don't have a 2 wire router yet. I just had a technician say that might help.

Edited by killer g, 03 June 2005 - 12:34 PM.

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Do you think it's possible that I need a Desktop Wireless G Network Card? I really have no idea but I remember reading about one. Think it could fix the problem?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok Killer,

That tech obviously had no idea what he was talking about. I will make an image that should reflect how you "should" set up your network using the exact equipment that you already have, and everything "should" work. The only thing you MAY need to purchase would be standard patch cables. For this project, you will need:

1 Broadband/DSL Modem (acquired)
1 Broadband/DSL Router (acquired)
1 PC (acquired)
1 XBOX (acquired)
3 Standard Patch Cables (you already have at least one)
1 Cable to connect wall jack to Modem (either digital line or coax)

I will post back shortly with a detailed drawing of how your network "should" be setup.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok killer,
I attached a somewhat detailed drawing of what your network should look like. Since you are saying that nothing is acquiring its own address, I've included the info that you should static to each adapter. Once everything is hooked up EXACTLY as shown, please post back, please do not even start worrying about your wireless functions until you at least get the wired working. You will not need to purchase a "two-wire router". In order for the XBOX to work, you may need to open the ports in your router. The XBOX Live site doesn't refer to any ports needing to be opened, but have read some information stating that on some routers you may. If it doesn't work as shown/described, we will try that.

Greazy Mcgeezy

killer g

killer g

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alright, I'll try setting it up like you've drawn. Only problem I have is that all the reps for Belkin said that once it looks like I've got everything set up, I need to go to IE and type in 192.168.1.2. This is the router homepage and the router's IP address. But I'll try what you've got anyways first. If that doesn't work and I put in the "1.2" one, will I need to change the Sub, Def. gateway, and the the DNS also?