Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REEDYCOOL DOWNLOAD SCAM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
In MAY I had access to the internet blocked. A site called ReedyCool.com sold me software ($79-90!) to unblock & fix the problem. Got the download via the supposedly 'blocked' internet (this did seem odd at the time!) & everything was OK. I saw the transaction on a recent bank statement called 'Reedycool.com, Baku'& I confess I had forgotten about it, so I Googled 'reedycool.com' & saw some notes from an Apple PC user about the same issue. His forum replied that this was a scam going around & advised he contact his credit card company to get any transactions from this site blocked.

I do remember also that a few days earlier my Symantec anti virus software had expired & I was being lazy in getting it renewed......maybe reedycool found a way to get their malware/spyware in...?

Maybe this information could help others?

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Hello OZDOUG,

I am sure folks appreciate your update on this one. Other then web searches like you have done, that domain name doesn't pan out very well. What you describe is typical of a scam, system hijacker. Was this a recent enough event to where we might check things there, to ensure nothing remains of this garbage?

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hey Jintan.............sorry to be slow on this one, been away from this forum for a while.

Not too sure of your question regarding checking........?

For info I just got hit with a Microsoft Service Centre scam to the tune of about 150GBP............I must be a good target, which means something is wrong with the way I run my PC! I'll post this in a new thread real soon............. :(

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Goodness, that was a bit of a delay. Before we opt to check this system, as it does seem to have issues, is it the same one as this thread you have open?

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Yes, same laptop............I have started a thread under heading of "KEYLOGGER INFECTION?...." (once I get clever I will learn how to attach a link from within this forum). I'm thinking it is my security settings...........

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
OK, did some digging & I think this LINK will work....?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Okay, I will just close this topic.