Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp laptop oh so sloooow to load .

• Please log in to reply

dpens2

dpens2

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Need some solid help with a computer that takes close to 15 minutes to load. Once loaded it runs "most" programs and is obviously working on the internet (mozilla firefox). It does not seem to be able to remove programs (45 minutes trying to remove Adobe Fireworks and then only 0 to 2% of cpu being used).
Avast is the virus program on the computer (updated to July 17, 2011); Spyware Blaster and Super AntiSpyware installed. Cannot update the latter because the computer runs to slow to handle the task. An older edition of Photoshop Elements (8) does function (if slow).
The simple: it loads so unbelievably slow and then works so slow it needs a nice cool breeze to come in and wake it up.
Please help WAKE ME!
Thank you

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please post the make and model of the computer if branded.
Also please tell me the ram installed, the speed of the processor and the capacity and free space of the hard drive on which the system is loaded.
Also please tell me everything you have tried to date.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 July 2011 - 02:21 PM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for responding. Any assistance you can give would be appreciated.
Computer: Toshiba Laptop (Satellite)
Processor: Intel Pentium 1.6 .ghz Hard Drive: 75 vGB (Total) 4.56 GB (Free)
((I see that as an area of concern but can not find a way around it))
Ram: 2GB
Display: NVIDA Ge Force Go 66000 128 mgb Driver Version 7.1.7 1/14/2005
MS Windows XP Home Edtn. Version 2002 Service Pack 3

What has been done thus far??
In the last few days I have a) checked, where possible, that the Virus Software is updated (it is: Avast 6.0.112) A virus check was done a couple of weeks ago and Avast says computer secure.
Tried to run Super AntiSpyware but it would neither update no run (waited at least 20 minutes). Check Spyware Blaster ... it is/has been running. Tried to remove some of the memory hog programs not being used via Control Panel ADD/Remove ... ie Adobe Fireworks CS4 but even after 30 minutes nothing was happening. There are other programs that could likewise be deleted but they will not work.
Thanks

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I should have added that MS WINDOWS is on Auto Update and in looking at the directoy there and in Control Panel the list of files that have been added is very, very long. Such is similar with MS Office 2003. When one looks at the start up file (tried to see what could be deleted there to save load time) the file svchost.exe appears numerous times. This may be of no consequence.
Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are 100% correct

75 vGB (Total) 4.56 GB (Free)

That is more than likely the problem.

In case you are tempted do NOT uninstall any of the automatic updates. You will end up with problems.
UNLESS THE BELOW MENTIONED suggestions of System restore capapcity and Temporary File Cleaner work YOU MUST uninstall some items from C drive.
You must either UNINSTALL or MOVE (Copy first) to check the move to location has the files some items from your C drive to an external drive.

IF you have teens of Gigabytes of :-
JPEG images for your pictures and music files from your personal data are sometimes the favourites. I have seen computers where over a period of time Gb`s of space have been taken up with those files.
Another distinct possibility to increase space is to change your system restore capacity. Windows in the case of XP allocates 12%. If that is your setting reduce it to 3%
Start, right click My Computer click properties, on the window that opens, click the System Restore tab, highligh the C drive and click settings. Move the slider to approximately 3%. Click Apply and OK.

Run this
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop - just click on that underlined link.
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Now download and run this
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Read the instructions on the web page.
Select ALL for the Main tab which is Internet Explorer and if you run Firefox, select all on there. Noting the caution regarding the saved passwords. These are website passwords, it does not effect windows passwords.

Having done that please post back with the space now available.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 July 2011 - 04:33 AM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
Received your note and am in the process of applying the actions requested.
Have reduced the size of system restore to 3%, at least while we are trying to rectify the problem(s), and will first download, run and post the results of TFC. Will follow-up with atribune ....
'Tis 12:45 pm ... afternoon ... here thus am no doubt a few hours behind you. Will do my best.
Thank you for being on board with me. Your assistance is appreciated.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Have completed all tasks thus far (TFC AND ATF-CLEANER).
Now there are 8.98 GB free; 65.5 used; 74.5 total
Have made no attempt to remove any programs or do anything else pending your directions.
Thank you

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, click run and type msconfig., click the startup tab
When that opens send me a screenshot or type out all the startup items that are checked with a tick mark.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry to be so long but had to "go out" and just returned.
The list of files had to be typed .. thus:
((LOCATION FOR ALL FILES IS HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\Current Version Run))
1 SynPEnh c:Program Files\Synaptics\Syn\SynTPEnh.exe
2. avastUI c:\ Program Files ALWILS\Avast-1\avastUI.exe/nogui\
3. TPSMain TPSMain.Exe
4. TVSTray /c:Prog. Files|Toshiba\TvsTray.exe
5. thotky TFncKy.exe
6. SmoothView C:\Progr.Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Zooming Utility\SmoothView.exe
7. NDSTray NDSTray.exe
8. hkcmd C:\Win\system32\hkcmd.exe
9. tfswctrl C:\wINDOWS\SYsTEM32\dla\tfswcctrl.exe
10. AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG.exe
11. QTTqak C:\Prog.Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
12. iTunesHelper C:\ProFiles\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
13. GrooveMonitor C:\ProFiles\MicrosoftOffice\office12\GrooveMonitor.exe

There are times I contracted Program Files so you do not think they were listed otherwise.
Apologies for the tardiness. Believe it or not I began this 5 minutes after your last posting. But oh those unexpected errands.
Thank you for your patience

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
QTTask in nuber 11. Spelling error

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Whilst there are a couple of items that could be disabled from running at start-up, this is clearly not the cause of the slowness.
With a 1.6GHz processor it is never going to be FAST., but should not of course take so long to load windows
Has this problem existed for sometime, when did it first become apparent.

After creating some more free space on the hard drive hjave you now noticed any improvement.

Please go start, programs, accessories, system tools, then disk defrag.
Select C drive and then click thern analyse button.
Then click View report.
What is the total fragmentation and what is the file fragmentation please and did it report defrag as necessary.
If it is less than 10% defrag it using that program.
If it is considerably more post and I will send you something which is quicker.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2011 - 10:40 AM.

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi on Tuesday 10:03 here.
Info requested:
C: Total Space - 74.5 gb
Cluster 4 kb
Used 65.62
Free 11%
_________
DEFRAG INFO REQUESTED:
TOTAL DEFRAGMENTATION --- 14%
FILE FRAGMENTATION ------ 28%
FREE SPACE FRAG.... ----- 01%

Total Files -------- 153,132
Total Excess frags - 54,875

dpens2

dpens2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I should also add that after receiving your email earlier this am I attempted to delete Adobe Fireworks CS4 again and after 1 hr 45 minutes nothing had happened.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Use this.
NOTE the caution do not use any other offered program from Auslogics.
Download Auslogics defrag and run that. DO NOT PLEASE use any other offered program from Auslogics. Use the ordinary defrag not the optimizer defrag
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download
Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defraggedPlease do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

NOTE NEVER NEVER RUN DEFRAG on a drive containing backup images.
It can ruin the image.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2011 - 08:22 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After the defrag
See this for the uninstall of the Adobe Fireworks
http://kb2.adobe.com...3/kb403951.html