Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware/Trojan--PC freezes have to restart

• Please log in to reply

cocofruit

cocofruit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Ron!

No drive is specified that I can see.

When the disk boots:

There is a blank line that blinks for a few seconds [like to enter a path, which I tried]

Then Caldero DR-DOS comes up on the screen

Then screen goes black for about 20 sec

Then message comes up unable to find license agreement etc etc

I even reburned the iso and also tried the zip version, to make sure the file was ok . Same thing!

It also keeps saying cannot load the file A:\ Command.com ---isn't A a floppy drive???

Again, lots of people having the exact same problem with this WD data diag iso.

If you can give me a step by step work around, I'll give it a shot. But everything else I tried will not work for me.

Whatever you suggest to try I'll do it. I would like to get this to work...BUT....

Can I use Seatools??

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You can use seatools if you can get it to work. Sometimes they require you have one of their drives.

Ron

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
There is a copy of the western digital program on the universal CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ it might work.

cocofruit

cocofruit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
You deserve a medal Ron!

You go above and beyond :) and I really appreciate it.

I will give them both a try, maybe 1 will work for me.

I shall return....

cocofruit

cocofruit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Ron! :)

It was a no go for the Western Digital DLG diagnostic. Ultimate boot cd had 2 versions and both said they were missing the file dlgdiag4.bat and would not run for me. After everything I've read online, you're one of the only people that got this program to work right after the 'unable to locate license' garbage. There are no fixes out there, so this thread should greatly benefit others with the same problem.

I had luck with Seatools for Dos. It ran with no problem on a non-seagate HD.

I did the long version test.

RESULT: Failed

Bad Sector found. Errors detected on non-seagate drive.

Sector Repair Failure. Repair was unsuccessful.

...Now I know what I'm dealing with...

Thanks a million Ron! You helped me a great deal :unsure:

If you have anything to add, let me know. I'll check back in a few.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
OK. Bad drive. Thought that might be the case when check disk failed from the recovery console. At least you know that before it fails completely so you can save your files to CDs or an external drive before it goes. (Poor man's file back up: a gmail.com account. Send them to yourself as zipped up attachments. That way the files are always available no matter what computer you use. You just log on to gmail and their in your inbox to download at any time.) (Use 7-zip to zip them if you don't have a program to do that.) )

I even wrote Western Digital and told them they had a problem and they blew me off:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Paul B.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you; Data Lifeguard Diagnostics is not compatible with every computer out there, if the software cannot find the license code then the software is not compatible on your computer, you will have to move the drive to a different computer before you can run Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. You can contact our support team from the link below for further assistance.

Answer Title: How to contact Western Digital for support (email or phone)
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp....hp?p_faqid=1048

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Paul B
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Note: If you have not visited our community forums, please make sure to do so. You may also find answer(s) to your question(s) there. Link to WD community forums at: http://[email protected]

I think the reason I got it to work is I still have a USB floppy drive and I must have finally used the floppy version since the letter I wrote to them mentions a:\.

They asked me to fill out a survey on their customer service. I panned them of course and then they sent me a certificate:

"Thank you for completing Western Digital's quality feedback survey.

For your convenience, here is a copy of your promo code: WDCARES.

This code saves you $15 on purchases over $100 at the Western Digital Online Store.

The WD store carries all of the latest WD products and offers free shipping on orders over $200.

Online Store Link: http://store.digital...romoID.17375000

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinions.

Sincerely,

Western Digital"

That was January of this year. I've bought two hard drives since then and both have been from Seagate! Urge you to do the same or at least to avoid Western Digital. Perhaps when their sales start to fall off they will learn to listen to their customers.

Ron

cocofruit

cocofruit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
TGIF RON!

You were right, HD was dying.

I hear ya on the next hard drive being a seagate---anything but WD. It's completely sad how Western Digital has turned a side eye to this massive problem with their Diagnostic program. At least you got a response---Many were simply ignored----LOL @ the certificate! I guess that's supposed to make it all better. They need their bums kicked. I just can't believe all the time I spent trying to get that software to work. If you hadn't of been a little cornucopia of knowledge, I would've given up. You're THE BEST!!!

Appreciate the heads up on securing all my data. Thank goodness I haven't had this laptop long enough to put anything on it. Ironically, I bought it as a backup and since I was disgusted with vista I was happy it was XP. I guess I'll just have to buy a newbie.

Have a great weekend Ron! The weather's gonna be beautiful in the NW.

Cheers to you man!! :)

Edited by cocofruit, 29 July 2011 - 09:25 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Changing out the hard drive is not a big deal. The trick is to get a usb external hard drive adapter. Amazon carries them for less than $10. You just need to know if the old drive is an IDE or a SATA. From the speccy log we know:

Form Factor GB/2.5-inch
Business Unit/Brand Mobile/WD Scorpio®
RPM/Buffer Size or Attribute 5400 RPM with 8 MB cache (Mobile)
Interface/Connector SATA 3 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector/SATA 1.5 Gb/s with 22-pin SATA connector (Mobile)

so you would need something like this:
http://www.amazon.co...11990782&sr=1-5

and you could get a monster 500GB drive:
http://www.amazon.co...1990848&sr=1-14
for $55

Once the pc sees the new drive you use the program from the drive maker to clone the drive then take out and replace the old drive with the new one.

Ron