Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Updates wont install on XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a laptop running Microsoft Windows XP, Professional. Version 2 Service Pack 3

The following updates just aren't working properly in the sense that I can download them and it says they install but then they show up again saying they need to be installed even after rebooting.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB79909)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x 86 (KB2446704)

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478658)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)

Also every time I reboot my laptop it comes up saying New Hardware found called Base System Device or something similar.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
This is a good MS article: How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

This is a good MS article: How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

Thanks for that I'll have a look once I have finished classes today. Any idea about the other issue?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Open Device Manager, look for any yellow marks. If yes, what is it?

I suspect you need to download and install the Chipset driver for your laptop.

What is the make and model number? The drivers should be available from the manufacturers web site.