Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs.

• Please log in to reply

Sergeras

Sergeras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

When you do a fresh install of the OS it will ask you what partition you want to use. Make sure you pick the C drive and have it do a full format using NTFS.
That should leave your D drive save and intact.
You could just backup your data from that partition you can use cd's or dvd's.

Yeah I have done that 2 times before posting here though ehm... I will do it when I can again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If that is the case then I would suggest backing everything as far as data up on cdrw's or dvdrw's and blowing away all partitions and resetting them up.
This way no remnants of anything will be left.
You can't backup programs as they need to be reinstalled.
Recreate both partitions, format using NTFS full and not quick format. Then do the fresh install on the C partition. Get all updates done first and all drivers up to date. Make sure system is running properly and is stable with no BSOD's. Once that is done then start installing one program at a time testing system in between to make sure no issues restart.
Then and only then copy all your data back to the D drive and hopefully everything will work fine.

Sergeras

Sergeras

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

If that is the case then I would suggest backing everything as far as data up on cdrw's or dvdrw's and blowing away all partitions and resetting them up.
This way no remnants of anything will be left.
You can't backup programs as they need to be reinstalled.
Recreate both partitions, format using NTFS full and not quick format. Then do the fresh install on the C partition. Get all updates done first and all drivers up to date. Make sure system is running properly and is stable with no BSOD's. Once that is done then start installing one program at a time testing system in between to make sure no issues restart.
Then and only then copy all your data back to the D drive and hopefully everything will work fine.

Well that wraps it up the thread right? :) I will copy paste this somewhere and do it step by step when I backup all my stuff.

Edited by Sergeras, 26 July 2011 - 02:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope this thread does not get closed at all. I will monitor this topic until the issue is completely resolved for any updates you may post. If by chance I don't reply just pm me and I will get to you asap. :) :yes: :unsure: :)