Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

weird start up issues possible infection?

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Did you see that I posted twice? The first post talks about VSS and gives a link to how to unencrypt your stuff before uninstalling.

I think you are wasting your money on Carbonite if VSS is not working. You can't be sure that any backups are valid.

There is a forum on the TrueCrypt website which might help.

Ron

Advertisements

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
"Did you see that I posted twice? The first post talks about VSS and gives a link to how to unencrypt your stuff before uninstalling.

I think you are wasting your money on Carbonite if VSS is not working. You can't be sure that any backups are valid."

Yes I saw that, but sorry I'm not getting what VSS is, whether it's an actual program, or method windows uses to help carbonite backup??

As far as true crypt, I did figure out how to keep carbonite from backing up my encrypted file (unselected it for backup) so I don't know if this is the same as you mentioned> "Perhaps there is a way to tell it not to try to backup the encrypted volume which I assume is Volume{a7617081-3b65-11e0-8b2b-00038a000015} instead of uninstalling TrueCrypt."

also I'm not sure if removing true cypt would help as the encrypted file is seperate from the actual program.
so maybe if I did unencrypt the encrypted file, then remove it to another disk? to see if that was the problem, or do you think the actual trucrypt program may be the problem? which in that case, I could just use a portable version of trucrypt on a usb key, (with the encrypted file/volume on my hard drive?) Sorry if this is getting deeper than you want it to, I understand this is the malware section and this may not apply (in which case you can close this out & I'll take it back to the windows xp forum)

No TrueCrypt volume will be removed when you uninstall TrueCrypt. You will be able to mount your TrueCrypt volume(s) again after you install TrueCrypt or when you run it in portable mode.

btw, when you gave me the following instruction>

"Under Services uncheck Volume Shadow Copy Service, CarboniteService, and also uncheck Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 then Apply. Under Startup uncheck Carbonite Backup, apply and reboot. Cancel msconfig when it comes up. Does it start faster?"

I must have had tunnel vision for carbonite (because I kinda suspected it may have been the problem)
and only unchecked carbonite service. and did'nt even notice the other part.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Volume Shadow Copy Service is a windows XP service that runs when you start the PC. If you Start, Run, services.msc, OK you will go directly to the services window where you should see it on the list. I don't know much about it other than that it is used for creating backups. If you didn't turn it off with msconfig then the problem is solely in Carbonite. Perhaps it is working now that you have told it not to do the encrypted volume? Have you tried checking the carbonite entries in msconfig, Apply then a reboot?

The Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 service is something from your CD/DVD Roxio burning program You can find it in the services window and right click on it and select Properties then try to Start it and see if you get an error. Your log said it wasn't starting and that usually causes a 30 second delay in boot which is why I wanted you to turn it off in mconfig.

Ron

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
" If you didn't turn it off with msconfig then the problem is solely in Carbonite"

so do you think true crypt also has nothing to do with it, because I'd rather not mess with that and screw up my encrypted volume.

Yes I reset the carbonite service, and yes it does the same thing, I also disabled it again, and yes, it works normally without the carbonite service selected. (but I do want the backup working so I reselected it and it's working as normal)

I don't use roxie, so I uninstalled the only option I saw for roxio in add/remove programs, made no difference.

I attempted to get online chat support for the carbonite, but they seem to have a limited script of what they can offer to reduce computing load, such as setting it to low priority, and not displaying the colored dots that reflect if file has been backed up or pending. But they can't (or won't) deal with the fact that it's a startup, not resource problem, I was disconnected yesterday after my 2nd attempt with them, may try again today for grins? lol.

I really don't wanna keep wasting your time on this non-malware issue, so you can close this out.

Thanks for your time.
Dave