Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot run any spyware removal tools

• Please log in to reply

itsappg

itsappg

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I hope someone can help.

We have a pc that has been infected with something, but not sure exactly what. Whenever I attempt to launch MalwareBytes I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.". I am signed on as the PC administrator. I attempted to run OTL, but as soon as I select Quick Scan the windows disappears. When I attempt to rerun OTL from my download folder I receive the same message I got when running MBAM about cannot find the file.

I followed the steps for when malware removal tools won’t run tutorial. Even after running exhelper, rkill, and Vipre rescue program nothing seems to work. I do have internet access and most other programs that I attempt to run do seem to work, it’s just the malware removal type programs.

Thanks...

Advertisements

itsappg

itsappg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks anyway, but we did a system restore to from a backup. Everything is working from the restore. User data was backup daily to an external disk.