Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help restoring partition with VHD file

• Please log in to reply

busterbrit

busterbrit

• Pip
  • 2 posts
about a year ago I separated my new computer into 3 partitions. C drive (windows), E drive (data), Z drive (back up).

I made the C and Z drive the same size. I had windows make a VHD drive of the C drive so that if I ever had problems with the C drive I could restore it back to that time period.

How do I restore it with this VHD file? I tried looking on the internet and i can't figure it out. I can mount it. Can I mount it and just copy the folders over (I'm guessing no)

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Google is your friend for this one: use vhd file to restore windows

The first link looks like it has your answer (I hope): How to restore a VHD file backup

busterbrit

busterbrit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Google is your friend for this one: use vhd file to restore windows

The first link looks like it has your answer (I hope): How to restore a VHD file backup

Thanks for you help so far. But that is not what I want to do. I want to use this image to replace the C: drive. They are the same size so it should be able to just replace it.

I tried windows 7 recovery but it can't find the VHD file. Not sure why. It's on the same hard drive but a different partition.

I can mount the VHD so that I can access it like the other partitions and look at all its folders.

But I can't find any articles on how to revert the C: partition back to its original state when I made this system image back up.

Thoughts?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From the link I gave you:

Method 2: How to restore your computer from a system image backup

From that link:

To restore using preinstalled recovery options
If you can't access Control Panel and you don't have a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc, use this method to restore your computer:

Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has only one operating system installed, hold down the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, try again.

If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start, and then press F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter.

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

Select a user name, type the password, and then click OK.

On the System Recovery Options menu, click System Image Recovery, and then follow the instructions.

To restore using a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc

If you can't access Control Panel, you can restore your computer using a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc (if you have one).

Insert the installation disc or system repair disc.

Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the installation disc or system repair disc.

If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You might need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For information about which settings to change, check your computer manufacturer's website. For more information about BIOS, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

Click Repair your computer.

This step only applies if you are using a Windows installation disc.

Select a recovery option, and then click Next.