Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse lights up but won't move.....

• Please log in to reply

xtremegreen

xtremegreen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a second hand desktop from someone I don't know really. It is about 5 years old maybe, running on XP Home Edition. Everything works but, when I plugged the mouse in the usb port, the optical light lights up on the mouse but it won't move on the screen or click left or right. Ive tried all ports on it but none work. I plug it in and nothing pops up about new hardware found or nothing. In the control panel for the mouse under hardware it dosn't show anything as being found. But the thing is that I tried the mouse on my laptop and it works fine.....So I am at a loss. Anyone know what is wrong? Do I need to download a driver maybe? THANKS

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the computer have a PS2 mouse port? If so, do you have a PS2 mouse you could put in there and see if that works.

Also check BIOS Setup and see if the USB mouse is disabled somehow.

Or, try this:
  • Shutdown and unplug all USB devices.
  • Boot to BIOS Setup and load defaults (F5 or F9 usually).
  • Boot XP and create a new Environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and set it's value to 1 as follows:
    • Right click on My Computer and select Properties
    • Click on the Advanced tab
    • Click on the Environmental Variables button
    • Click the New button under the User variables for xxxxx" area.
    • Set the Variable name as: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    • Set the Variable value to: 1
    • Click OK as needed to close all the windows you opened.
  • Open Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager)
  • Click on View then Show hidden devices.
  • Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it.
  • Uninstall any for a mouse.
Reboot. Wait until XP is up and stable, then plug in the USB mouse. XP should detect it and load the driver.