Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into XP pro after much trying

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It's based on the Windows 7 Recovery Console. Unfortunately you need to have a Norton Product key as none is supplied with NBRT and I don't have or want any Norton/Symantec products on any of my computers. Sorry, can't do any more testing with it.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Maybe you have a corrupt file system? Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Apprec your continued help. I downloaded the Norton Recovery disc on to a 2 GB stick and booted it from the stick. I can get it into Safe Mode OK, although it runs very slowly. I tried to run Norton scan on the C drive, but it apparently ran it on the stick (!) (scanned 1500 files) and reported no viruses. Not a big help. I don't know how to get it to scan the C drive. All my stuff is on the hard drive and I can get around slowly in safe mode . If I try to boot up from the stick normally, I briefly get the BSOD and then it automatically reboots. So that's where I am. I can't get it to boot into normal mode. It is not worthwhile for me to take this to a shop as it will cost more than it is worth. I think if I can't repair it, I'll just buy a 1 Terrabyte external drive and back up the whole office to it. Maybe you can tell me this: When backing up, how can I tell the computer to only back up newly created or edited files and not bother with the ones that have not change each time is very time consuming. Again,thanks for sticking with this. I can't bring myself to do a clean install. Not yet, anyhow.

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Regarding chkdsk, when booting up from the stick, I have the choice of booting into safe mode with dos command. So I can simply do that and then type the chkdsk command. I will try that. I thought of that before, but I never actually was able to get it done for some reason, I can't remember. I'll let you know. Tks again.

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
After bootup - it first tries to open windows - after that I got command prompt c:/ but when I tried to run chkdsk/r I got message " File system is NTFS This volume is in use by another process. Do you want to run chkdsk on next bootup?" I said Y. When I rebooted to the command prompt, apparently it did not do a chkdsk/r. So I am back to where I was. I will try to follow your long instruction post next and then advise the result.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to specify the drive to run chkdsk against. Just entering chkdsk /r will run it against the boot drive (flash drive).

I don't know what letter is assigned to your hard drive, you'll have to find that. Once you have it you can run

chkdsk x: /r (x: is what ever letter is assigned to the HD)

That should work.

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
11:30 Monday 25 July Ztruker: OK I had no problem creating the ARCDC disk. I set the computer to boot from CDROM (all 3 selections) and booted it. It did same as before, no change. I selected Safe mode with command prompt. Tried to run chkdsk/r but got same error messages. See above. Note this: When it boots up, it gives you choice of normal bootup, safe mode, safe mode with cmd prompt etc. If I choose NORMAL, then it tries to open windows and then I get the BSOD briefly and then it reboots. I have 2 CD ROM drives, one on the computer, which I think works OK and an external drive I connected.I tried the ARCDC disk in both drives but with same result. For some reason, I do not think it is booting from the CD because there is no change from what it did before with no disk OR stick available to boot from. Also, after I select SAFE MODE with CMD prompt, it tries to open windows and then after that it goes into safe mode and THEN gives me the CMD prompt. Is there some setting I can change somewhere in the control panel? I snooped around in there but can't determine what needs changing, if anything. btw, I am very familiar with DOS and DOS commands, having used computers since around 1960! I also tried the command chkdsk c:*.*/f/r and some others, but always get same error messages.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Recovery Console (via install disk of the one from ARCDC) should look like a normal install. It should not show the Windows Advanced Options menu. I think you are right and it's not booting from the CD.

Do you get a Press F12 to change boot options message when you boot? Do you see a Press any key to boot from CD message?

Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM
If you have not preinstalled the Windows Recovery Console, you can start the computer and use the Recovery Console directly from your original Windows XP installation disc. If your computer is already in Windows and you want to add the Windows Recovery Console as a startup option, go to the next section "Adding the Windows Recovery Console as a startup option."

Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
At the command prompt, type Recovery Console commands, and then you can refer to the commands that are listed in the "Available commands within Windows Recovery Console" section.
At any time, you can type Help for a list of available commands.
At any time, you can type Help commandname for help on a specific command. For example, you can type help attrib to display the help on the attributes command.
At any time, you can exit Windows Recovery Console by typing Exit at the command line.

Above from here: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
3:30 PM Ea time July 25 2011 Ztruker: Good news. In trying every combination I could think of, I went again into the advanced bios settings and found something like "reset to default settings" or something like that. Then I put the new disc (ARCDC) into the CD drive, the one which is on the computer. When I tried a normal boot (it would not let me select anything else), to my surprise it just booted up normally and is now acting like a new machine. Don't ask me what happened. Anyhow, I ran Norton Internet Security, but discovered that it won't connect to the internet nor will recognize any other computer on our local LAN. I am sure we can fix these things in house. However, Norton needs to access the web, so we will have to get this fixed next. Don't ask me if this will boot up again if I try. I will do it later today when I have time. Wait for the next installment.

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Tues 28th July 2011 Ztruker: Well my computer is running like a new one! I still have the ARCDC disk in the drive. I think it boots off that, but I am not sure. I am afraid to try to boot without it in the drive. Anyhow, my LAN has 3 computers on it, physically connected. But I can't get this computer to see the other two. I ran the Connection Wizard etc etc but it won't fix. Also, I can't get on the web. However, you have been super generous with your time and I can';t thank you enough. I have a relative who is a professional and I will have him come and set it up for me, which he has done in the past. I am amazed that this computer is running so normally! Tell me where to send the flowers!!!!!
ralphchas.

Advertisements

ralphchas

ralphchas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
28 July 2011 Ztruker: Just to let you know, the computer now will boot off the HD. So I guess the CD we used overwrote the bootup files on the HD. I just have to have my local guy set it up to I can get connected to the LAN and get on the web. Many thanks again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm glad it's working. Post a new topic here if you continue to have networking problems.

Good luck.