Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office Set Up / Networking - Lots of Questions

• Please log in to reply

groth

groth

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello,

I have what I feel is a bit of a complicated situation (though I hope it's an "easy" one to some of you). We're setting up a new Business and need to get Internet and hook up several computers to an all-in-one printer/scanner. This is a large rented system, suitable for small businesses. Here are my questions:

1. The nature of our business requires STRICT confidentiality. If we get wireless Internet, is this 100% secure if we have it password protected? Is wireless any less or more secure than using a SIM card?

2. We are sharing office space with another provider, offering a similar service, however he is not an employee. He is solo, whereas the other provider has a Business Manager. We want separate Internet service, because of confidentiality, since there's no business agreement aside from the lease. We were considering wireless and he is considering using what I think is called a SIM card.

3. While we are using separate Internet, the three of us need to have access to the same printer/copier/scanner. Is this possible? Can we "share" this among three separate computers, which are not networked, and if so, how?

4. I've read something about a "Network Port" on the printer. I do not know if ours has this but I will check tomorrow, if it's necessary.

5. We are looking for the easiest and least expensive way to hook up the three computers to the one printer. If there is some port in the rear (being a Business Model, I'd expect there may be), would the best thing be to make it wireless, then attaching something to each computer? We can run cables/cords to the printer if needed, going up the walls and on top of ceiling tiles, though I think that would look VERY ugly.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi groth:

I am totally off balance with your question. You want to maintain STRICT confidentiality and want to share same printer? :) :unsure: :yes:

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm sorry, but if you are setting up a business requiring high confidentiality, then I'd advise against setting up the network yourself. Hire a professional to do it for you, and to check out the security for the individual workstations, and server(s) as well. Even if you have a fair amount of networking knowledge, something which, with all due respect, you do not appear to have, it's easy to mis something, or make a mistake. In turn, that mistake, or little thing you missed, might result in data being compromised / confidentiality being broken, which might get you and your colleagues in serious trouble. Do yourself a favor, and don't take that risk!