Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor? MoBo? Please help, system unstable...

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
- English is not my native language, so forgive me if I make a mistake once in a while -

Hi,

My system got very instable out of the blue.

What happened so far...

I've got a nice system (I think) and it had been running for over a year without any problems, then all of a sudden I got blue screens with a Machine Check Exception error.
Because it started happening when I was playing a game I thought it could be a graphic card problem, I did misflash the graphics card once (Leadtek A350, GeForce FX5900XT)...
But that wasn't it, replacing the card had no effect and my 'old' card checked out fine in another machine.
So I did a search on the net and found that a Machine Check Exception error could be a memory problem (also considering that my computer was now randomly rebooting, even when only working on my desktop) So I bought new memory (2x512 MB PC3200 Usi), it didn't help.
I thought that maybe my MoBo didn't like this brand of PC3200 memory, so I underclocked it to 333 mhz. no effect.

The next step was replacing my MoBo, a friend just bought a new computer and his old MoBo supported my hardware.
And yes, some light on the horizon, it worked and seemed to be stable.
But wait, I don't have a Athlon XP 2000+, I have a 2600+, oh, I see, the FSB is still al 133 and it has to be 166 let's get it up to 166!
This is where it goes wrong...
every setting above FSB 145 causes the system to become unstable and / or hang, can't even boot to XP.
I've checked the MoBo manual and internet and my processor indeed needs the 166 FSB, so something is wrong, but what?
Every other bios setting is 100% oke.

So has my processor become defective?
But why does it run flawlessly at FSB 133?
Is it overheating? Can't believe that, have a good Cooler Master cpu cooler and the sensor 'says' that the processor isn't going above 50 degrees Celsius, and that's a great temperature for a Athlon XP 2600+.
My case is also well cooled, not exceeding 29 degrees Celsius.
Anyone got a idea?
I'm starting to blow smoke out of my ears, I'm getting desperate.

Please someone, shed your light..

My system specs:

Asus A7N8X-E-DeLuxe
Athlon XP 2600+
2 x 512 MB Usi pc3200
Geforce FX5900XT 128MB (Leadtek Winfast A350)
Gametheater XP 7.1
Hauppauge PVR-150
Enhance 400 Watt powersup.
Coolermaster case with a front fan 80x80 and rear fan 80x80
Windows XP Pro SP2

Edited by Webslinger, 31 May 2005 - 02:38 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

OK, if the system is unstable at 166MHz, then run it at 133 instead (I'm sure thats what an athlon XP 1600+ should be running at anyway).
Adjust the multipler to x16 to give a total of 2.13GHz (the correct speed for this chip).

As for the old motherboard etc, it sounds to me like a memory issue. I know you said you bought new stuff for it but it's possible that it is one of the RAM sockets thats faulty not the actual modules themselves.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the reply.

A few things...
I don't have a Atlon XP 1600+ but a 2600+

I can't set the multiplier to 16, 15 is the highest.

And I think I found the problem now (I hope) I think the processor itself is dieing on me, I'm getting all sorts of cpu warnings now, on both MoBo's.
And that would explain a lot...

Replacing the processor tonight, I'll let you know how this turns out.

Webslinger

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
oops, apologies for the mistake, I have no idea where I got 1600 from then, must have misread it!

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
:tazz:

I'm so happy, my problems are solved!!! ;)

It was indeed the processor, replacing it made my system more stable than it has ever been! ;)

Looking back my processor must have been dieing for a long time now because I could never convert avi files to dvd before without a systemcrash after a few minutes, now the same software ran for a whole night and everything's still stable. :) (always thought it was a software problem)

Thank you all for replying. :)

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Well, I guess whatever can go wrong will go wrong eventually but I find it odd to learn that this CPU just started going. Usually they either are good or they aren't and its pretty easy to sort em' out early in life. If you had a year under your belt - strange behavior in my book. What V-Core were you running? I don't know if you can find another use for that replacement you just put in, but if so, try a 2600+ Mobile. With a very slight voltage bump you can run it at 12x200 if your memory is decent. And, it will run cooler than what you've got now. Yeah, yeah, I know 2600+ Mobile is supposed to be run at 166. Best 462 ever made.

:tazz:

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
A Mobile 2600?
I had a quick look at my friendly neighbourhood pc stores, but they don't have mobile cpu's.

But to be honest, I'll stop tweaking / upgrading for now, my system is working again, better than ever even, and I'm happy with it.
But who knows what the future will bring...
So I'll keep it in mind.

And I agree, I haven't seen this behavior from a processor either, but I've seen stranger things happen...

Thanks ones again.

Webslinger

DaveSouth

DaveSouth

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks - Just thought id let you know this post helped me a LOT

I am having similar problems, and hopefully can get to the bottom of this