Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start up

• Please log in to reply

K-Roddy

K-Roddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I have a Gateway GT5468 running on Windows Vista. When I try to turn this computer on, the fan turns on, the blue light around the power button blinks and the computer emits a beeping sound. I know this isn't much of a description of the situation but that really is all that happens. The monitor doesn't even get a signal from it. I used to be a member of this forum before but I forgot my password. So I just created a new account because I don't remember what e-mail address I used to register. Anyways, hopefully you guys are able to help me! Thanks, Kevin

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.