Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

inspiron E1705 to factory settings..

• Please log in to reply

jam234

jam234

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Inspiron E1705 running vista home premium, tried f8 at reboot but there is no "repair your computer" option, tried the control f11 and it just beeps and boots... any ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

If this doesn't work then you may not have a recovery partition on your hd.
Was there recovery disks with your system brand new?
Has the system ever been formatted and reloaded using something other then recovery disks or the built in recovery partition?
Is Vista the originally installed OS on the system when it was brand new?
Have you tried contacting Dell to purchase the Recovery set of disks?
Normally run less then 30 USD.

jam234

jam234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It just continues to boot with control F11, it is a original vista application from 2007, I am the 2nd owner, no discs, everything is fine except Macafee family protection will not let me get on the net...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we can disable Mcafee to see if that will help.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything to do with McAfee and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

jam234

jam234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
disabled macafee, to no avail, keeps starting at log in, I can restore to the previous owner then disable in his then wipe his account again maybe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you go to Add\Remove Programs and see if it can be uninstalled there?
If not I can see about McAfee's uninstall program or we can try AppRemover.

jam234

jam234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tried the uninstall , from what i read you have to long on to mcafee to get a special code to remove it, since i don't have a macafee account i cant do that, but i got a dell vista disc off a friend , the other discs are for a 1721 and mine is a 1705, do you think it will matter? if so how can I save other contents

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What content are you looking to save and forgive me for not asking before but can the system boot into windows at all?

jam234

jam234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it can boot to windows, the guy who owned it tried to wipe and restore, but he didnt totally deactivate the macafee and it kicks filters on and will not allow me to get on the web, i was talking about the media center and microsoft office if there would be easier to save or reinstall

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can save the data but the programs themselves would need to be reinstalled.
The other option is to call the manufacturer Dell and see about purchasing a set of the original recovery disks. Cost should be like 30 dollars.
I just ordered a set from Emachines for my mother in law and it was 20 dollars.
That would give you the original OS, Drivers and programs that were loaded on the system when it left the factory.