Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which CPU chip is the latest or top line?

• Please log in to reply

Da Dark Jedi

Da Dark Jedi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just needed to know what CPU do you like? I'm still using the Intel P4, I want to build a new system, thats why the question. Let me know what and why for your choice.

Advertisements

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
What are you trying to do with the system? If you're not doing much more than just having a computer, why waste money on 'top of the line'.

I say this because I'm about to post my possible machine build and I think it might even be a little too much

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, it is not a valid question. There are 100s of CPUs out that, and all are excellent, reliable CPUs.

If you want to build a new system, you need to do 2 things - (1) establish a budget and (2) define your needs or the primary use for the computer.

Icculus

Icculus

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
My strategy of building was this:

Choose a processor based on cost & performance. (I found the i5-2500 $209 to be plenty powerful and I just kinda wanted a 64 bit Quad Core... also came with a free blu ray burner until July 31st)
Find an appropriate MoBo. See my recent topic on which one. Chosen because of the SATA 6Gb ports, USB3, 4 memory ports, and the audio connections. You might want other options (embedded video, etc.)
Find a case that supports the MoBo size.
HD - Seagate and WD are tried and true.
PSU - Digerati has some sage advice on them :)
GPU - How much do you want to spend? I chose around $120

I had keyboards & monitors. Grand total was $700. With no video card you should be able to build a plenty powerful computer for general use for under $500.

Voila.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And with today's advanced integrated graphics, if you choose a motherboard with integrated graphics, you may not need a card - depending on the intended use of this machine.

And if you select a µATX board, I would still get a mid-size case as they offer more room for components and hands, and still let you see what you are doing. Plus, they tend to offer much better cooling options.