Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS no longer recognizes either CD or DVD burners

• Please log in to reply

Missteek

Missteek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, everything was working fine until the other day when I opened my computer up and blew out all the dust. After I was done I noticed that I had forgotten to plug the SATA DVD burner back in, which I had unplugged for easier access to one of the fans I was cleaning. So I opened it back up and plugged it back in. After booting back up I put a blank DVD in the burner, which seemed okay because it had power but upon checking in "my computer" I noticed it was not being detected. And to make matters worse, now my IDE CD burner was no longer there either! And it was working fine before and I didnt even touch it when I plugged the DVD burner back in. So I went into my BIOS and tried to have it auto detect it, but it wont. And I noticed that during boot process when the messages flash across boot summary screens before windows loads, there was something strange. It was under the usual Maxtor HDD0 list; I think it was referring to my cdrom, but it read ODD0: !!OAY some weird characters and a C with a vertical double pointed arrow X230E and what looks like a club from a suit of cards. I dont remember seeing this before. Does anyone know what I can do to make my BIOS recognize these drives again?
Thank you,
Linda

Advertisements

Missteek

Missteek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After checking all the cables again, the IDE CD burner is now working, but nothing from the SATA DVD burner. Plus the strange characters are gone from the BIOS summary screen during boot up. I am wondering if my board is going bad?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could possibly be a bad motherboard. Is the date and time correct in the bios?