Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Write Read problems / Fresh XP install

• Please log in to reply

360nourishment

360nourishment

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

I recently wiped my computer clean. I re-installed Windows XP and all of the drivers and created a new Windows profile with administrator rights. I then proceeded to install all of my programs. When I try to access a particular program on my computer, I am receiving the a window that says I have a "File read / write error" stating that another copy of the program is currently running elsewhere on the computer (which its not). The other explanation is that the program is running under a Windows program that does not have administrator rights (which is not true) and that I cannot proceed until I fix the issue.

I've had anti virus, anti malaware and associated registry cleaners on this computer from day one. Not 100% sure if this is a software issue or if there is something wrong with my computer.

Please HELP! Thank you.

TB

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've had anti virus, anti malware and associated registry cleaners on this computer from day one. Not 100% sure if this is a software issue or if there is something wrong with my computer

One real time AV is all you should have. Malware and Spyware software unless a paid for version is usually not real time and should be no issue.
The registry cleaners are a potential problem for sure and here is why.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Is this a laptop or Desktop?
Name brand or custom built?
If name brand what brand, make and model?
If custom built what brand , make and model is the motherboard.
What was the reason for the format and reinstall of your OS?

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

Here are the answers to the below:

Is this a laptop or Desktop ------> Laptop

Name brand or custom built?-----> Name Brand

If name brand what brand, make and model? -------> Compaq nc 8430

If custom built what brand , make and model is the motherboard ----> N/A

What was the reason for the format and reinstall of your OS?-----> File Read / Write error in ability to open certain software(the same as the subject of my inquiry)

Also, thank you for the information on registry cleaners.

TB

Edited by 360nourishment, 20 July 2011 - 08:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you use the compaq restore disks or what disks did you use to reinstall the OS?

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

I had a computer tech guy do the install for me. He used Windows XP (professional) with SP3 and reloaded the Compaq drivers for me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is that what was originally loaded on the system?

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yes, The computer was wiped clean and the original drivers were re-loaded. I bought this computer second hand so I don't know exactly what programs were on the computer.

However, the error message that I am receiving is exactly the same as when I accessed the same software on an unrelated computer (with XP as the OS). The only conclusion that I came to was that the problem is either the software or a windows xp problem.

Edited by 360nourishment, 20 July 2011 - 11:34 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What software is that as you never state the program but only this from post 1:

When I try to access a particular program on my computer, I am receiving the a window that says I have a "File read / write error" stating that another copy of the program is currently running elsewhere on the computer (which its not).

and this from post 7:

However, the error message that I am receiving is exactly the same as when I accessed the same software on an unrelated computer (with XP as the OS).

Did you get all the original drivers from Compaq's site and did you install them in the correct order.
Chipset driver is always first or you will have issues with the OS. All original drivers are located HERE.

You say:

I had a computer tech guy do the install for me. He used Windows XP (professional) with SP3 and reloaded the Compaq drivers for me.

Did he use a Compaq restore disk, a OEM copy of XP professional or a Retail version?
There should be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the original OS name and reg key. Can you tell me what the original OS is?

The Compaq site lists 8 different OS's for that system.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,

I am sorry for the confusion. What I am trying to say is that I cannot access a particular program, not software, on my computer. This is a health care related program that you can download from a URL directly to your computer. I don't think this issue is related to my new computer, because I received these same error messages when I downloaded this program to my other computer (A Dell. I've had my Dell computer for years with no previous problems.

I am trying to rule out if this is an individual program issue, or if there is something wrong with my Windows permissions / system admin permissions.

The tech guy is a professional, he downloaded XP from a retail version and downloaded the drivers directly from Compaq's site using the account number at the bottom of my laptop.

TB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

he downloaded XP from a retail version

I'm not aware of any place you can download XP with the exception of being part of a special group with Microsoft. I am asking this because it seems like it may be part of the issue if the download is faulty or downloaded from any site. Seeing that the issue happened with both systems it would seem to me the issue is the software itself.
Is there any way to contact the manufacturer of the software and see if this may be a issue? Does the manufacturer have a support forum setup on their site where you might be able to see if there is a known issue like this and maybe they have a resolution to correct it.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

I understand that you are being as thorough as possible and I appreciate that very much. At this point, I think the issue is the particular program that I am trying to access, so I will contact that manufacturer directly.

Thanks for all of your help and quick replies!

TB

Edited by 360nourishment, 20 July 2011 - 07:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am interested to know for sure if it is the program itself. Everything with your system checks out ok so I have to agree with you in that the program has some kind of glitch in it.
Please let me know what they say and if need be fill free to give them the link to this topic so they can see everything we have done to diagnose the issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue or have you been able to contact the software creator to get help?
It has been 11 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

360nourishment

360nourishment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi There,

Thanks for the follow up. Yes, this issue has been resolved, it was anti virus software that was causing these errors all along (Avira premium). The solution I've come to is to uninstall Avira before I attempt to install any program.

TB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is good to know and if you were not using a paid version I would suggest using MSE for your AV. We have found it to be a great alternative for folks having trouble with Avira or Avast.