Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No scrolling.

• Please log in to reply

kelly1

kelly1

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
The scroller wheel on my mouse has stopped working, how do I fix this ? lately I've also noticed my cursor being bumped and having to re-click to gain control again.

Edited by kelly1, 19 July 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

This may of been better in the hardware forum however when your mouse wheel stops scrolling and your cursor bumped this tells me that your mouse has gone faulty and I would suggest trying a new mouse as I can't see this being a software problem unless your registry has gone corrupt as I know this can make hard stop working all together as I have seen this before. You can if you wish to get a very very small pointy object and try and to move the wheel about however I would not reccomend this. Please see this post by wannabe1 and see if this cures anything. You will need to access the recovery console to perform this procedure so you will need your operating system installation disc to hand. This procedure in my own opinion is only reccomended for Windows XP as I have not tried this on other operating system. To boot into the recovery console you will need to boot off your CD. Your BIOS may already be set to do this if it is not you will need to access this. To get to the BIOS press F2 as soon as you turn your system on and keep pressing it. Another common key is DELETE. If none of these work look for the option [PRESS _____ TO ENTER SETUP] The ____ is the letter / number or F key you will need to enter the BIOS.

If this fails you can also try a repair installation.

HOW TO REPAIR WINDOWS XP

Or

You can try this inside the recovery console should all this fail. Enter the recovery console and enter chkdsk /r

Notice there is a space after the k. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 they have tools built into the operating system it-self. Press F8 on bootup and try system repair and system restore. (also do this for Windows XP) If all fails before doing a format you should try a new mouse. If this fails then a format is the only option left to try. If a format fails then we may have other problems. When you have tried the above please let us know. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 20 July 2011 - 04:53 AM.

kelly1

kelly1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you wizzy2k5, it seems the problem has magically disapeared and I've made no adjustments of any kind ? I would like to thank you for your help with this, I'll subscribe to this thread just in case the problem returns. cheers, Kelly.