Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error After installing WinRAR

• Please log in to reply

donhealyou

donhealyou

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I wanted to install the latest version winrar over my older version so i install the newest version to the same folder as the old version because i cannot uninstall it using the add/remove program... i click at the add/remove programs but nothing show up... so an error came up ... and i check mark the box to add winRAR to my desktop shortcut and my menu but it did not show up ... its weird...

Attached Files

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
The error you are getting is just a broken link.
But the rest of the story is a bit weird indeed... I would check the registry and boot-services, but I'm guessing that would be a first for you, so that would be bad, mmmkay.

So maybe this is an option:
You could try to completely un-install WinRar and all it's components, then reboot.
If no errors pop up on itself, you can check your HDD manually (use file/map search for "rar" for example and delete all maps and WinRAR software related files (NOT YOUR .zip .rar .7z and so on ARCHIVES !!! only the WinRar software parts) manually and then reboot again.

If still no errors pop up, you can re-install the newest version of WinRar and try running it.
Be sure to use the right version of WinRar, not the newest 64-bit version on an older 32-bit computer, or vice versa!
There are many other FREE file-compressors around, if any of the above doesn't work: get another...
If you do, make sure to "affiliate" all compressed file extensions (.rar .zip and so on) to that particular software to avoid old WinRar errors.

Good luck! Posted Image

donhealyou

donhealyou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
the error came up after i install winrar.... and for your info i run the winrar installer with avast sandbox... does the avast sandbox makes the installer error came up after installing? and the winrar did not appear in my menu all programs... is this because i use avast sandbox to install it? i am not sure... pls help thanks

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

is this because i use avast sandbox to install it? i am not sure... pls help thanks

Yes, this is quite possible, because most sandbox utilities protect vital parts of your system, like the registry. Also, the path you direct the installation to is not actually the Program Files or Windows directory, but a special Sandbox directory, which explains the broken links.

If you download the right WinRAR installer for your OS, from the > WinRAR LINK < here, the chance it being malicious is minimal. If your not sure, you can upload the file to an online virus-scanner like > VirusTotal LINK <, > VirScan LINK < and/ or > Jotti's Malware Scan LINK < to convince yourself of the safety of this file. This is always wise to do with "new" and/or "untrustworthy" files / applications you download.
I've used WinRar for years and never had any problems myself.

I'm currently testing a new sandbox (> My Sanboxie Thread <) utility myself, but so far I was not able to successfully install and run WinRAR in this sandbox. If I get any further I'll post a new reply. (After regular installation, it runs just fine in the sandbox, it's the installation-part giving me problems...)

In the mean time, you could just follow my former reply and try re-installing it outside of the sandbox, and then try running it inside of the sandbox.
WinRAR is an excellent program to test this, as it is a quite safe utility...

Good luck Posted Image and please keep us up to date as you advance with this issue..

Andrewpaul

Andrewpaul

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem in not in the file, but in WinRar itself:
From WinRar support:
When I install WinRAR I get CRC errors and it won't install.:

You have downloaded a damaged archive or you have not downloaded the whole archive. Please try downloading WinRAR again from http://www.rarlab.com/.

Sometimes an antivirus tool can also be the reason.
Please disable the auto-protection of your antivirus tool or exit your antivirus tool and try installing WinRAR again.
I hope this will resolve your problem.
http://www.techyv.co...-version-winrar